Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nice one got away!

Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM

Default Nice one got away!

It was 6:34 am, we had been sitting about an hour and all the sudden a really nice buck comes trotting on the hillside about 60 yards from me. up hill and lots of brush in the way, but my hubby says if he ain't getting closer, SHOOT! So i did and he did a face plant, then got up and charged right down the hill toward me. He did another faceplant about 15 yrds in front of me and then ran like a mother down the ravine. I was so hyped up I didnt even think about shooting again! My hubby saw it and said it looked like he was hurting. We let him set 3 hours and when we went back to look for him only a little blood where he laid a few times and then NOTHING!! My first shot at a buck, a nice buck! and I blow it!

Not wanting to hunt there tonight we went to a piece of land we have only hunted on 2 times in 5 years. I walked in and saw a hunting shack about 150 yards across a picked field. I positioned myself behind a tree shielded from the shack. I figured they saw me walk in. MY BAD. At dusk, I used my estrus bleat and had 4 doe's flanking my right side, then I saw a nice buck, I hit the bleat a few more times and he just seemed to disappear. I looked to see where the doe's were and noticed they were between me and the shack. I decided to take cover just in case and 5 seconds later a shot hit 5 feet above my head. I had tree shrapnel! Very big day! I hope tomorrow has this much adventure!!!!! []
Old 11-04-2006, 06:24 PM

Default RE: Nice one got away!

ya you may want to be a little more carefull of that shack next time! thats pretty dangerous!

Old 11-04-2006, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: kshafer

ya you may want to be a little more carefull of that shack next time! thats pretty dangerous!
Um yeah I got that loud and clear. I knew it was stupid when the deer walked between me and the shack. I was under the impression that it was buck on ly season here right now, but there are always special tags out there for doe's. Shotgun opened today in Minnesota. I REALLLLLY prefer bow hunting LOL!
Old 11-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sorry but what were you thinking? First off you took a 60 yard shot w/ lots of brush in the way w/ a bow. I don't get it, I dont know any one in their right mind who would take that shot, honestly a 10 yard shot with a little brush in the way isn't worth trying. And then why on gods green earth would you position yourself in view of that shack? Especially while ground hunting. Sounds af if you are just looking to get shot and wound deer.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:44 PM

Sorry, My bad I should have been clear, and I probably (OK I did) post in the forum. This is the only hunting forum that I post on. I was shotgun hunting! To be honest I wasn't thinking when I sat down on the ground by a hunting shack. I had on a full head to toe blaze Orange jump suit on! any fool could see me from 3 miles away! We walked in the woods at 3:00 (it got dark at 5:00) and pretty much did tie-Bo getting the brush out of the way and clearing a place to sit. I looked in the shack and it didn't appear to have anyone in it, and I sat on the opposite side of the tree from the shack which was on the other side of a food plot. I sawa buck and 4 doe. They were not on my land andI did not shoot at any of them. I also had the foresight to get behind the tree when the deer started moving between me and the shack. It was a mistake I shouldn't have made and wont make again. In fact, we know the people who own the other land and I called to see where everyonewas hunting. She told me no one whaton top and hunt by the shack. 5 minutes after we sat down out they come with a decoy and got in the shack. IMOVED!!!

IDO NOT!!! EVER!!!!! want to wound an animal!! I have hunted for 14 years and this was the first year I shot! I got my first deer with a bow. A 10 yrd open shot and the deer only went 50 yards. I relivethat moment over and over in my head and all i can think iswhy didn't I shoot again! I have to live with the fact that i may have only wounded the biggest white tail buck I may ever see! I am really sad about both of those things. I should have clarifiedI was shooting with a shotgun, not a bow. I had just had a verybad day and i was venting.[code]