Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

the woods just seem dead!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: the woods just seem dead!

Yesterday I was out from roughly 1130 til dark. Within the first 15 minutes had an 8 pointer walk within 15 yards of the stand. Saw 8 deer within the first hour, then from 3 til dark, I saw 10-15. Between 3 and dark though, there were a lot of smaller bucks (largest was a 6 pt) chasing the does all over the place. After the sunset, all you heard were the does running all through the woods each time the bucks would get close.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: the woods just seem dead!

I have seen plenty of rubs, all sorts of tracks all over the place, but yet no deer! It's really weird!The guys and I have pretty much patterned them, but yet just can't seem to be in the right place at the right time. [:-]

This latest cold snap really hit hard in the mountains of VA. Good God was it cold! The deer must have been bedded down in the pines already to get away from the winds and cold frost.

Hopefully I'll nail one before rifle season comes in (I usual put away the bow and pick up the ol' Marlin 30-30 and hunt the heavy woods and thick stuff during rifle season).

Butch A.