Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

the woods just seem dead!

Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: the woods just seem dead!

You're not alone. I've spent 15 hours in the stand the last two days and haven't seen a deer. I've seen lots of other animals though. Cats, quail, coons, squirrels, rabbits, hawks, but no deer. Hopefully next weekend.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Not seeing much here either. I am in Iowa, about a week and a half ago, i was seeing up to 20 deer in one sit... now, nothing. In the past three times I've gone out, ive seen about 5 deer combined.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Not much moving here either. Had a deer walk directly under my stand this morning but it was just too dark to shoot and I don't want to make a mistake. And that was it for today. Hadn't seen a deer from either stand in over a week. Now this morning the rain is here so I guess we'll see how long this lasts!
Old 11-05-2006, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Right now, the deer are feeding at night at my leasedue to the full moon. But, we have experienced a similar situation a few years ago where we say nothing moving for about 4 days, and I mean nothing. We found some massive cat tracks and some smaller ones. The local game warden said they were monitoring a big cougar and cub traveling a 30 mile radius and that is why everything was hiding then. They had several reports of sightings, but no problems with the big cat, so they were just following it. He said if the cat wasn't bothering live stock, people or domestic animals that they were going to leave it alone. But, he did say they had to relocate another mother/cub to a remote location a few years back b/c they had killed a new born caf.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 AM

I was wondering if others were experiencing slow movement...I haven't personally been out hunting much lately but I had 3 friends hunting down on our farm the last two days and the last evening I sat two of them in stands that are always good for at least a doe and they had seen nothing...I think maybe setting up closer to bedding and hunting longer in the mornings might be the remedy...
Old 11-05-2006, 05:50 AM

here in ct everything is slow ive hunted the past 3 days sitting on stand morning till night and nothing but keep finding new rubs and scrapes right from my stand gotta be the full moon
Old 11-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here in MD. Myself and some buddies have been hunting mornings abd evenings, the last 2 days have been absolutely dead. Must be the full moon. I was posting on our team baord and after the hunt yesterday morning I was walking to my truck with one of my hunting buddies at 11AM and low and behold there was a 150 class hammer standing in the middle ofa cut beanfield with a doe. Might be better hunting the middle of the day for the next week,too badI cant take off any more work.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry guys i havent really seen a thing either. went out yesterday morning and seen nothing. Went out the night before and seen 1 spike and a doe that just ran threw the area. But i moved my stand to behind my house because theres a huge 13 pointer with double droptines on it so i'll try to get that big guy. Hopefully everything starts moving and everybody gets good activity at there stands. Good luck all
Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's pretty typical with the full moon tonight. By the later part of this week the daylight activity should be in high gear.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:11 AM

Well monday and tuseday i saw deer very late. And then thursday, friday and saturday mornin i saw nothin, then last night i had a big 8 point come in RIGHT under me and I MISSED!!!!

Quick Reply: the woods just seem dead!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.