Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wind Question

Old 11-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wind Question

I was in my stand this morning and the wind started from the North and 2 hrs later the clouds were comming from the North but there was a strong alternating breeze from both the south and west.???? how are you supposed to keep the deer from winding you when it comes from 3 directions.? can you use any of the doe pee's or attractants to cover your scent and how much will it actually help. I got down from my tree at 11 and decided to take a walk arounf the area with a drag cloth and hung some scent tabs with Golden Estrus figuring that may help, I sat there till dark and saw Nata! when you have wild winds is it pointless and thats when you just call it a day and hang out with the wife? Thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wind Question

thats were proper scent control comes into play. thats why i much rather smell like NOTHING opposed to SOMETHING. i wash all my clothes in scent free soap/baking soda. store it all seperate in a bag with an opened "refridgdtrator box of baking sode..like 67cents or something!) and then spray down with "dead down wind" before the hunt. i try to hunt the wind...but like your situation..sometimes its impossible...and its inevetable that youll have deer come in down wind once in a while. since i started this system ive yet to be winded and had a mature buck and a fox down wind of me within shooting range! plus numerous other deer. had a mature doe with a fawn come in downwind. the mature doe came in downwind and feed in a beeline right to the base of my tree. so close i couldnt see her without leaning OVER the edge of my stand. i use a climber and did ALOT of walking around the base of the tree..touching it etc. she had NO idea....untill she hit my bow pull up rope i left hanging from my stand!!!! i watched her feed for over a minute. she bumped the rope..decided to sniff it. white flag went off and she jumped back a few foot and stopped. started stomping and looking around but couldnt figure it out. she procedded to take the youngin and walk off. the key to that story.....the pull up rope was the only thing i DID NOT SPRAY! for as much as i walked the base of that tree and touched everything around i was impressed she didnt blow sooner. just goes to show you smelling like nothing is better then smelling like something. if i used nothing im sure she would never gotten that close...if she wouldnt picked me off sooner. i had a deer wind me over 100yds away right before i decided i better DO something. hunting the wind..but it came in down wind. i heard it snort twice and never even got a look. definently think my method works...but know nothing is foolproof and theres still times they will catch you no matter what.

another thing to do is get high if in a stand. dont break your comfort zone or anything..but the higher the better..that way your scent is well above ground level..plus deer generally dont look 25foot up in trees either...except around here..i swear some deer look up around here because they been shot at before...
Old 11-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep swirling winds suck![:@] Go the extra mile to stay as scent free as possible. Like Mauser said, I'm not big on "cover scents". I try to smell like I'm not there. As far as the different directions winds, don't pay too much attention to what way the clouds are going. Upper level atmosphere winds and surface winds go in different directions a lot.Focus more on what's happening at ground level.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thansk for the info I have done everything you mentioned except for the baking soda I am going to the store to get some Thank You for the Help