Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

After 8 years...finally...

Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default After 8 years...finally...

I shot a buck yesterday morning at 7:10am. The day before I'd had a bunch of deer activity nearby, but they never presented me with a shot. So what did I do? Improvised...I got out the climber and set up where all the deer were moving through.

I turned off my alarm in the morning and didn't get settled into the tree until 6:30 when my goal was to be up and ready by about 5:45. Well, it didn't take long, but at 7:10 a buck walks right up the four-wheeler trail at about 15 steps...

I drew my bow when his head was behind a tree but he heard me or something, because it took him forever to make the next step and I almost had to let my bow down. Finally he took the death step. I hit him a little high and back...honestly, it wasn't a good shot. But crap happens.

Anyways, the arrow blew right through him. I got down, came back to the house and waited an hour before we went after him. (We as in dad and me.) We tracked him for an hour and a half with pindrops of blood at times but some good splats at others. It was discouraging. I was like, "holy crap, I shot my first good buck, with my bow, and we're not gonna find him."

Well, with some help from Dad (a master tracker) and Jack (my basset hound) we found the dude in some of the God-awfulest mess in the county.

I forgot to score him but I'm supposed to wait 60 days anyways...he's at the taxidermist. He was a pretty young deer, but I'll take him. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and the sense of accomplishment is great.

Here are the pics...

Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Spike

Default RE: After 8 years...finally...

Nice buck, congratulations!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good job Froman on that first buck. I know your proud and we are of you also.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on your buck as well as finding him.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:38 PM

Great lookin buck...Congrats
Old 11-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Froman, Great looking buck. Thats a great first deer. Mine was about 135 pound doe. Stll was a great feeling getting that first one under the belt. That little bit of confidence goes along way!!!!

Those broadheads look like muzzy's?, looks like they did a great job!

Congrats!!!!

Crutch
Old 11-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck, way to go. I think those are Eastman broadheads, they look similar.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats...the next won't take 8 years for sure! Now your rollin'.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Job well done on a nice buck. Congrats
Old 11-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats!!! i love the high rack! i shot a 6pt with a high rack like that..i like high racks for some reason lol. better change the name!! i cant say ive seen any pics of you WITHOUT the fro lol! good job! hopefully you dont gotta wait ANOTHER 8 years!! way to hang in there though!!

Quick Reply: After 8 years...finally...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.