Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DARK, DARK brown deer????

Old 11-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default DARK, DARK brown deer????

I had one encounter with aspike this morning. His coat was a really dark auburn/chocolate brown color. He was average size, I guess.....but he acted a bit more savvy than your average spike. He came in from my right. The wind wasn't doing what the weather people said.....and it was blowing in my face....as I sat in a tree overlooking an active scrape. He circled around directly behind me (and downwind of his scrape).....and winded me. He bolted 2 or 3 jumps....then planted himself for the stare-down game. He didn't blow me out.....but he definitely caught my scent (even though I practice extensive scent-free measures). I gotta giv ehim credit.....if he's a youngster.....he may be around a while.

ANY chance he's an old guy.....with his lack of antler size being attributed to old age???

Either way.....NEAT encounter!

Jeff
Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DARK, DARK brown deer????

You shoulda tried some Deer Dander on your clothes and around your stand , that would have settled him down and he wouldn't have known you where there.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I saw a huge doe last year, the darkest (almost brown/black)deer I have ever seen. When I first saw her, I could have sworn she was a moose calf. She was obviously the matriarch of the herd, she was bigger and more savvy than any other doe in the group. Not sure if that was attributed to age or genetics...
Old 11-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely could have been a mellanistic deer (extra dark pigmentation in the coat.) Or, it could be an old bugger. AT out camp, we have seen the same fork horn for three years now. His coat is not dark like the one you saw, rather his coat is very red, almost as if he doesn't lose his summer coat. His rack has not changed though in three years. He is about 14" wide, but with only one tine on each beam. His name, of course, is "Red."
Old 11-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Yooper:

YES!! He's really dark RED like an Irish Setter!! That is exactly how he looks.

Think I ought to see if I can get him to follow me home.....lol?

Based on my year......you'd think we had a nuclear plant nearby!

Jefk (lol)
Old 11-03-2006, 05:54 PM

When i was little i used to hunt in the swamps of Virginia with my dad and I remember the "swamp" deer all having a much darker coat....like you said...almost black.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dang gobblers there must be something in the water them deer are drinking in your area. first a piebald now a dark one. I wish i could see a piebald someday.
Dan
Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been seeing a 1/2 decent six point in the corn, his coat is uneven and really dark around the shoulders, looks almost black , the way a German shepard coat looks. I was surprised the 1st time I saw him, he's definately young, I've never heard of mellanistic deer but thats probably what he is, kinda the opposite of piebald.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt swamps and the deer are really really dark i have one fawn and mom though that is really light almost gray colored but not a piebald or albie but my biguns over there are dark so all i can see when they stroll through late is horns
Old 11-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I saw him again, Saturday. He's just OLD!

And....he's a 5-pointer.

Jeff

Quick Reply: DARK, DARK brown deer????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.