Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No deer but great experience

Old 11-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default No deer but great experience

I was gonna wait til saturday to go into the woods with my new bow. But i got itchy and went this afternoon. I had already told myself i was not gonna shoot out past 20 yards cause i'm a newbie and 20 yards is where i feel comfortable.
Well an hour before dark i kept hearing this noise like someone walking. I should mention that i am a ground hunter and was also born deaf in my left ear. So when i hear noise while in the woods i have to really look hard and move my head till i figure which direction the noise is coming from. Well i realized while looking behind me that the noise is in front of me. I turn back around and there she was. A small doe at about 15 yards and broadside. i was sitting next to a falling tree and had my cloth blinds around me, unfortunatly my bow was laying on the log, and i could not move in fear of her seeing me. she took a few more steps then turned away. Perfect opportunity to grab my bow. She took 3 steps then looked back over her shoulder, just when i grabbed my bow. I had it in the air abit and she seen me. She was gone in a flash. I can remember thinking to myself when reaching for my bow " my 1st day in the woods with my bow and i'm gonna get one" Oh well, there's always the next time.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: No deer but great experience

That same thing kinda happened to me last year. I had a big doe @ 25 yards and I was like my first deer with my new bow, I let it fly and well, I got my first deer with my new bow last night!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No deer but great experience

I got caught sitting down in my climber with my bow hanging on a limb on the opening day. It was just a small looking fawn by itself. It just popped out of the woods and I watched it hoping it would turn, but it didn't. It hung around a few minutes, but was acting real scared by my SUV parked close by. I learned to always have my bow in hand from that, as my stand locations don't afford the luxury of seeing the deer from a far off distance. There are things to be learned everytime you go out hunting, you just have to be savy enough to pick up on them.