Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets talk scents..........

Old 11-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lets talk scents..........

So a few of you know I am leaving tomorrow night on my annual week long rut hunt in central ny, and north central pa. I have never been a believer in scents and only ever had one encounter with a deer using them which was vanilla extract during early season almost 10 years ago. I hae unsuccessfully hunted scrapes with scent, scent drags, etc. primarily using tinks 69, and code blue. I am rethinking using some scents this upcoming week.

What I am looking for is what scents have you used successfully, and how exactly did you use the scent?

Thanks!

~Matt
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lets talk scents..........

Ms. Doe Pee EstrusUrinehas worked for me on quite a few occasions. I even have some of them documented on video. The stuff really does work at times.

Near bedding areas or funnels back in the timber I freshen up active scrapes and licking branches during the last week of October through the chasing phase.

I never waste my time with scrapes near fields or open areas.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I take off a week each year and hunt our farms in eastern NC...We arrive on Saturday and have time to hunt that afternoon...We spend Sunday scouting...
I have one area that is about 150 yards beside a field, this area has white oaks and a old logging trail running through it...It also has 2 cutovers nearby...There is usually a scrape under one of the holly trees, on the logging road...I pour a half a bottle of Tinks 69 into the scrape and hang 3 35mm flim canisters on limbs along the logging trail with a cotton ball soaked in the rest of the Tinks...I then leave the area until Wednesday afternoon...I then walk in with a scent drag soaked in Tinks and stop and add Tinks to the scrape and scent bombs...I then climb a pine tree that I have used for years...I have killed several nice bucks in this area using this technique....Now this is a good area, even without the Tinks, but I feel that it pulls bucks in and also helps bring them out of the cutovers and they stop when they cross the logging trail, giving me a good shot...
Old 11-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of course...You could just take a few tampons along, already soaked...
Old 11-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

Ms. Doe Pee EstrusUrinehas worked for me on quite a few occasions. I even have some of them documented on video. The stuff really does work at times.

Near bedding areas or funnels back in the timber I freshen up active scrapes and licking branches during the last week of October through the chasing phase.

I never waste my time with scrapes near fields or open areas.
Thanks for the post buckeye.....your buck post was actually what got me thinking. The owner of the shop I work for uses the Ms. Doe Pee stuff too and swears by it.

Anyone else?

Thanks for the responses so far........
Old 11-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone else?
My buddy got this guy the day before mine using the same exact tatics only a 1000 yards to my west. He was in a ravine bottom setup I was on a high wall funnel.

We actually have this guy beating up his mock scrape on video, along with the kill shot