Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

60 yards!? are you kidding me?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default 60 yards!? are you kidding me?

I was watching a hunting show today on the mens outdoor channel, and the guy took a 60 yard shot with his bow! Am i the only one who is a little surprised by this? im just a beginner and only shoot out to 20 yards, that buck was 3X farther than that. Granted he made the shot and killed the animal, and he was most likely shooting a top of the line bow with incredible power and fps, it still seemed far. Would you take that shot? he was using lumenoks, and i could honestly see his arrow in the air for quite a while between release and point of impact, the deer would have had time to turn and run before it even got there if it had known what was going on.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 60 yards!? are you kidding me?

No, I wouldn't shoot that far at any game animal. You don't think he shot that far to give the camera a chance to show off his sponsor's product, do ya? Naw...
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

I would never shoot that far. I am pretty good with my bow out to thirty yards but honestly I have a hard time letting my arrow fly at a deer at thirty yards.
Typical Buck

I know what you're talkin about arthur, those shows are terrible, i saw one today where right after the kill this guy busted out about 3 or 4 different sets of knives to use to gut/field dress his deer, and coincidentally they were all made by the same company! anyway, i just like seeing the animals, not so much all the product placement. But it is way better and more respectful to the animal than some of the hunting videos you might see on youtube.com or other home-made hunting video sights.

Yes, I have seen those kids of shots, but I am not impressed by them. But I am not willing to slam a guy for it. There are some bowhunters who are very proficient shooting to that distance. They can group to a tennis ball at 60 yards. So I am not going to question them about it. The only thing I have a problem with is that more often than not, they fail to explain to the viewers that that is not a proper shot for everyone. And that most people need to stay within about 30 - 40 yards max. They should have a disclaimer pop up saying " DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME ". But instead they don't and there will be a bunch of guys who saw that show flinging arrows over half a football field away, when they cant hit a paper plate at 35 yards. Get ready for more wounded and I can't find my deer, HELP , posts.

Oh well, I'll shut up now.

Good hunting.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i cant shoot that far, my sight is as far down as it can go with a 40 yard pin, so i cant even get 50.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 PM

that far is unethical..... too much room for error and wounding a deer
Old 11-01-2006, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

there will be a bunch of guys who saw that show flinging arrows over half a football field away, when they cant hit a paper plate at 35 yards. Get ready for more wounded and I can't find my deer, HELP , posts.
Well said. I often find my old man at his housecussing the tv at many shows like this.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 PM

I was shooting spots today @ 60 yards with slick tricks. I was holding my groups inside a cd rom size even with a cross wind.

The "can be done" question is different than a "should be done". I for one think if you have the skill and your animal is calm and not jumpy and you have a quiet bow and you feel confident of the shot then its ok. But.... thats a lot of factors. I perfer 25yard shots Most of my stands have 38 yard shots as the max range.

BTW practicing at 60 yards with broadheads in a crosswind makes 30 yards seem so easy. Its a great confidence builder.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a target at 60 yards is one thing, but at game is ridiculous. To many things can change in the time it takes the arrow to impact the target.

Quick Reply: 60 yards!? are you kidding me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.