Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

60 yards!? are you kidding me?

Old 11-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 60 yards!? are you kidding me?

A man has got to know his limitations. A great statesman said that.. Or was it an actor.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a couple of folks have said this is a topic that has been beaten to death.Having said that I would never discourage someone from asking a question.There will never be consensus on this issue.
My personal belief is that there are to many variables involved to shoot at a whitetail deer at 60 yards.Shooting at a stationary target on flat ground at a known distance is a world of difference than shooting at a non stationary animal,while perched 20 feet in the air when your shivering from the cold and your heart rate is twice what it would normally be.I routinely practice at 50 and 60 yards and am very competent at those distances but I would never shoot at a whitetail deer at that distance.Shooting proficiency is something we should all work hard at,and we should work hardat putting ourselves in position to make the shortest shots we can.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:20 PM

As soon as I read the title of this post, I know it had to be about the same show I was going to post about.. I saw it too, and you can see the arrow arch way above the bucks back and then drop into the kill zone,, it is ridiculous to try a shot like that on game, and Id never try it, but I do have to say the guy drilled it, but still bad idea, a lot could have gone wrong. But if you noticed this buck was probably a 160 inch 8 pointer,, and the very next scene was the same guy getting ready to shoot a monster double drop nontypical, and I decided in my opinion, he was probably hunting a preserve and turned the channel,jmo.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know if a guy should take a 60 yd shot or not.
But i know that there are a lot of people in the woods that should not take a 20 yd shot. I see this every time i go to the range. You know what i mean the guy that is shooting next to you and is lucky to hit the paper or has his arrows spead out all over the paper and some how he thinks this is good.They say if you can keep 4 out of 5your arrows inside a paper plate that this is good. Ha Ha Ha! if your arrow is on the edge of the plate that means that when you shoot at a deer if it moves 1/2" then it could be a gut shot. So if the deer your shooting at raises or lowers its head to eat you can be out. So if you want to start a form about ethical shots hear is a good place to start. What is a acceptable shooting Group for hunting?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 AM

Depends on the size of the game, the terrain, the weather conditions, the animal's attitude, a lot of things.

Would I ever consider taking a 60 yard shot? Yes.

Would I be comfortable doing so? Yes.

On large bodied animals such as elk, caribou, moose, and mule deer I would consider long range shots up to, but not exceeding 60 yards if conditions were right.

I practice out to 80 yards in the summer and can keep broadheads in a CD sized circle out to 60 yards.

Would I wait for a closer shot if I knew one waslikely to happen? Yes.

I got into bowhunting because I got tired of taking long range shots, in other words I wanted more of a challenge. Shooting my bow that far I may as well be using a muzzle loader.

If I took a shot at an animal and recovered it, would I brag about it later? Heck no.

I like to keep shot distances out of posts, they tend to stir up a lot of debate if you take a shot at anything past 30 yards.