Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

60 yards!? are you kidding me?

Old 11-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 60 yards!? are you kidding me?

Heck, just killed a chipmunk at 65yrds last night. I was bored and needed a pick me up.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Spike

I shoot archery tournaments and am a pretty good shot, and i have killed multiple deer at 50+ i dont shoot every deer that far, it all depends on the attitude of the deer if ive got a giant standing at 60yds and he is calm not skiddish and i have a good shot and all things are in my favor you dang right im gonna whack him. but each is there own, just my opinion.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone should know their maximum effective range for hunting purposes. Practicing and being proficient out to 60 yards with broadheads doesn't automatically mean that you can now take shots at this distance. Targets don't move right after your arrow was released, but a deer certainly can - and a perfect vital shot just became a gut shot.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I have takena few hogs with 60 yard shots. When you live in West Texas, you dont get a lot of close shots. With that said, I have never tried it on a deer. Deer tend to jump more than a hog, so the furthest ive ever taken a deer, or even attempted for that matter, was 45 yards. If you practice those distances, and have an animal the likes to freeze when spooked (like a hog), i have no problem with it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 AM

I practiced out to 60 yards 5 days a week from July through the end of september. I did this for 2 reasons; I wanted to win our annual archery tourney(which I did) and by shooting at 60 yards, 30 would be easy. I took my 2nd doe at 35 yards this year, in part due to my confidence @ 60 yards. If a deer presented itself at 60 yards and I felt it was my only shot, Iwould take it. Would I rather have a closer shot...sure. For all of you who say thats too far, too many things can happen...thats BS. Those things STILL happen with a 20 yard shot. How many times have you heard "jumped the string" on a 20 yard shot? TONS. It all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. The guy on TV obviously has some skill to hit a deer @ 60 yards. Do you think he had never taken a 60 yard shot? I bet he practices all the time @ 60 yards.
It all comes down to the circumstances, plain and simple. If you have never even sighted in your bow to 40 yards, then by no means should you EVER take a long shot. If you practice and are a good shot at long distances, and the right circumstances allow you a shot...take it! My 2 cents for the day.

Good luck on whatever distance you shoot
Old 11-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

For all of you who say thats too far, too many things can happen...thats BS. Those things STILL happen with a 20 yard shot.
...and those things that happen at 20 yards are three times worse at 60 yards. The deer takes just one step and that perfect heart shot turns into a perfect gut shot. You guys who say you'll take shots that far, I wish you the best of luck. You're gonna need it.Anddon't ever expect an invitationto share MY campfire.[>:]
Old 11-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Heck I practiced at 60 yds a LOT, this year (62 yds from my back patio to the McKenzie Buck we own).

But I won't take a shot over +/- 30. I read somewhere that 75% of your practice should be at 2X the distance you plan to shoot in the field. Hence my long practice.

To each his own....but I have an IMMENSE respect for these animals we seek.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have ya ever noticed, these forums are much like hunting magizines? Same topics over and over, with the same out come, year to year!! Except one difference, some of the same topics come up on these forums more often than annually, this poor horse has been pulverized how many times already this fall[:@]
Old 11-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

With bow hunting it not how far you can shoot them, it's how CLOSE you can shoot them.

I'm more impressed with the guys that shoot bull elk on the ground from 5 yards while kneeling behind a tree.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:23 AM

I think you guys missd my point.....or I didn't say it correctly. The circumstances are important. If I have a deer at a far distance that is not spooky and just feeding leisurely I think I have a great chance of hitting it. Would I rather have a closer shot..of course. My point was don't just read something online and make a general statement that "all 60 yard shots are stupid", "your not welcome at my campfire for stuff like that" and so on. Remember, that guy on TV hit the deer perfectly. Under the right circumstances I believe it is an acceptable shot. Having said that, I passed a 55yard shot earlier this year because I didn't feel it as a good shot. The deer was spooked and I KNOW she would have bolted at the first hint of sound. It comes down to choices, and making good ones. Which is the better shot, a calm deer at60 yards or a jumpy one at 30 yards? Neither? Both? It will take .61 seconds for my arrow to reach 60 yards and .305 seconds to 30 yards.
Is an extra .305 seconds really that much? Really, I am asking. Will 1/3 of a second make that big a difference?
Hey, maybe I am wrong. I have only been hunting 2 years and maybe I am just a rookie who doesn't know what he is talking about. Wouldn't be the first time. Maybe over the next few seasons I will realize what you guys are saying is true. I am not above admitting I am wrong, or willing to be swayed into changing my mind. Isn't that what this forum is about?
May all your shots ring true,

Mike

Quick Reply: 60 yards!? are you kidding me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.