Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

60 yards!? are you kidding me?

Old 11-02-2006, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 60 yards!? are you kidding me?

I practice at 50 yards but am no where near good enough to try it in the field. I like 30 yards and under with my favorite being 20.
It's funny but you never see themwound a deer on TV. Either a straight out miss or a good hit.mmmmmmmmmm.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I saw the same show and I don't believe I would ever take that shot. BTW did you also see the guy send the arrow thru that 200 class deer without hitting anything vital, right between the spine and the lungs he said. that right there tells me he should not have taken the shot because that deer was only 20 yards away and he didn't seal the deal. Just wonder what ever happened to that 200 class deer. Coyote bait more than likely.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

it's stupid, we all know, just don't bring it up/
Old 11-02-2006, 05:36 AM
Dominant Buck

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=45402

Go listen to these freakin clowns. Also....notice the pawns that suck up to this SAD, SAD boasting.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Gotta wonder if they would have shown it on TV if the arrow would have hit the animal in the guts and was never recovered. Also have to wonder how much footage of other hunts was never shown because the doofus missed or wounded other animals!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:57 AM

Not saying it cant be done but why take a 60 yard shot to me if a deer is beyond 30 I wont even think about a shot
Old 11-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just took my longest shot to date a my Doe last evening! The shot was 32 yards and it seem like the arrow was in the air forever! I couldn't imagine a 60 yard shot! I don't think I even took a target shot at that distance maybe 50 but not 60! I'm not skilled enough to take a shot like that because I don't practice it. I working on a 40 yard shot just for the confidence factor! I like to get em in close as I can!
Old 11-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did anyone see the guy hunting elk that shot two massive bulls and wouned both of them and never recovered either. Why would you show this on TV. One he shot while he was comming head on and went doen the back strap.

I have shot an antelope at 60 yards in Wyoming when I was 15 years old. I practice out to 80 yards and felt confident that I could make the shot. Of course I was young and nieve. I did make a perfect shot and the antelope fell over after going maybe 70 yards max.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep in mind that the bowhunting legends of the past shot game out past 100 yards with longbows and recurves. In fact Pope and Young normally practiced shots at 60, 80, and 100 yards as their standard shot range. Of course they were the exception, not the rule, and I think their objective in those days was to prove the killing capabilities of bows even out to long distances. They were also shooting HEAVY poundage bows. I don't get uptight about it like is so prevelant these days but I do agree with another poster that they should give the caveat that they are only capable of doing said shots because they practice an insane amount of time and are confident in their shooting skills and that it is NOT a Hail Mary type of shot. If you don't know for certain where your arrow is going to hit at that distance and that you have confidence in your shot then don't take it.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine went hunting with some guys that routinely shoot to 60 yards. one of them got a deer at 60 this year. my all time longest shot was 26 yards! I can't imagine shooting at a deer at that range. it happens, and people are successful at it. i think a deer is way too small to be shooting at that range. you have to be lucky to do it, who wants those odds.

Quick Reply: 60 yards!? are you kidding me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.