Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a young buck if.....

Old 11-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot a young buck if.....

The only reason I wanted to ask is because I questioned mysellf if it made any sense to pass them all year, but take one at the end.
If it was unpressured private land where the land owner didn't care which of his corn and bean guzzlers I took out, I'd be waiting for a big guy or a nice juicy doe, until time started to run out. Then anything would be fair game.

Since I hunt mostly public land that is pressured by many hunters, I do things opposite of that. Get any deer in the freezer ASAP, and then relax and enjoy the view. Take a big one if I can, or a doe towards the end.

The approach totally depends the deer population, how often you see them, and how much competition you have messing up the deer's patterns.

If it's legal and not against the landowners wishes, then take meat as soon as you can.