Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a young buck if.....

Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot a young buck if.....

I would take a young button or doe before taking a "small" buck. I hunt because:
(1) I put a very good red meat in the freezer this way;
(2) I enjoy communing with nature;
(3) It gets me away from the house;and
(4) It gets me away from the wife.

My advise is, If you are just looking to fill your tag, take a slick head during your last days of the season. If you are rack hunting, wait to see what comes along. But when it's all said and done, you are the one who has to make the decision.

BTW, why in the heck would you want to leave Iowa? I've been to 38 countries and around the world three times. The scenery, people, and deer are the best right here.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would shoot it regardless of next year. I need more experience shooting at deer and shooting at them is how I'll get it.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

of course i would. based on the tone of your question i think you have your mind made up too.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

I would shoot. I did last year on the last day of the season. A spike buck that I passed on earlier in the year.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, I'd simply take a doe instead!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

id take the buck. theres no deer managment in the area...its legal...your not trying to manage the area anymore because your leaving..id much rather have antlers for the wall PLUS meat in the freezer..taking 1 young buck dont hurt much..not like hes the only buck for 20 miles and the deer herd will die off because you took him. any deer with a bow is a trophy..and all leave memories, pics, and meat...but i dont care who you are...them antlers do something magical i swear. i can shot does all day long and not get excited till she hits the ground. but if i see it has antlers, big or small im generally about to fall out of my stand.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I'vehad less than 10 bucks in bow range (not counting buttons) since I started bowhunting. I shot my '06 7 pointer because:

1) I'd never taken an animal with the bow....and I felt it important
2) He had some character to him
3) I like venison!
4) His rack, though not deformed, wasn't something you'dwant intheherd
5)Deer are plentiful where I live
6) He was a big deer, for here (172 lbs)

And lastly....because of the contest.

I passed on bucks last year.....waitingfor the right one. When I saw this one....i just knew it was. I've NEVER regretted taking him. I did a little scouting, this morning.....and saw a beautiful 8-pointer wih a very symmetrical rack. thing is.....it's not that much bigger than my 7-pointer.....and I'd honestly probably let him walk.....even though I have another buck tag. i think from here on out.....it's gonna get harder and harder for me to shoot bucks. They're going to have to beat the last one for a while, anyways....OR....have a special circumstance (like say.....hunting with a friend......or the last season you hunt a particular woodlot?).

There'sa ton of reasons for you to take this deer. Just don't ever have to feel the shooter's remorse. I almost felt that way after my second deer.....but I quickly got through thatby talking to friends (friends, right HERE).

You'll do the right thing, FOR YOU......if given the opportunity.

Take a photo (either way!).

jeff
Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on whether I have a doe tag or not. If I have a doe tag and time to hunt, I would pass the little guy. If not and I really could use the meat, I would shoot him in a heart beat. I am not above shooting a little buck, but it all depends on where I am hunting. If during late season I have an opportunity to shoot a yearling buck in an area outside of the 2 QDM properties I hunt and I could use the meat, I am shooting. On the QDM properties, I am passing every time, I would rather shoot does with a rifle for meat on those patches than shoot a young buck with a bow.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I will make the decision when the time comes. Who knows, I could be worrying over nothing. One thing is for sure, there won't be any remorse. I have taken several deer before,so have it be afawn, button, doe, basket rack, or monster, I would be proud of them all for bow kills.

BTW AF Hunter, Hell yeah buddy, I hear ya. I actually just moved TO Iowa. I am finishing up my Wisconsin tags. It didn't take much coaxing to get me to move down here (it is where the big boy roam). I can't wait for bowseason '07 and this year isn't even over yet.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

This time of year the bucks are in post rut in my areaand I personally think the taste is somewhat undesireable. I would not take him just to fill a tag. Look for a nice doe, they taste GRRRRRREEEEEEAT! Besides that small buck might be some one else's fist buck down the line.
Of course all this being said you are entitled to do what ever your heart desires.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a young buck if.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.