Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Short axle to axle+me =misses

Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Short axle to axle+me =misses

I think I am going to buy a bow with a larger ata lenth. Last year I bought a high country matrix with a 27 or 28 ata. I shot more last year than I ever have, and yet last year I missed more deer than ever. I can hit a mole at 40 yards while practicing but once I get into a hunting situation I really screw up. I dont know if it is my bow but I have a feeling it must be. I really had some misses last year and this year I made a non lethal shot on a huge deer that is still alive. I guess it makes perfect sense that short ata will surely increase the error margin. I am thinking of going toa 35" hoyt. Anyone have similar experience? I dont know what to do. I get major buck fever and I guess I tourque my bow during crunch time. Or maybe it is my imagination.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Short axle to axle+me =misses

I have a high country carbon four runner. Its ata is 36 inches,its 5-6 yrs old. Ireally likethis bow, light weight, pretty fast and quiet.The ata is pretty short on the matrix. I just received the brochure(sp) on thier new bows. The new sidewiders look sweet. They have a 32-1/2 ata, may not be what your looking for though. The maverick has a 36-1/2 ata, but may be giving up some speed??

Are you shooting from a stand out in the field? If so I would practice from the same elevation you plan on hunting from. I think nerves have a lot todo with it also. If shooting from high locationmake sure you bend at waist. If you can shoot that good "a mole at 40 yrds" itleads me to think it may be something else. I also onlypractice with broadheads.Just shoot at different spots, so not to ruin arrows or fletchings.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

think you answered the question yourself.....if you can hit a mole at 40rds while practicing but cannot hit a deer then i would say it is you and not the bow....buck fever will do that.....try practicing pulling your bow when you are around any deer...doe fawn etc....this will help you be confident and less jumpy when a buck comes by....

no need to by another bow if you hit a mole at 40rds....
Old 11-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are finding out something useful. Short ATA bows are not all people think they are. Sure they're handy to carry. But I honestly think that's where any advantages end.

Being an advanced shooter with over 32 years of compound bows, target, 3D and hunting, I've got a little experience. My present hunting bow is 32 1/2" ATA and my 3D/target bow is 38". Both have the same weight and draw length; same cam configuration. THe longer bow draws smoother and shoots way more accurate--period. I've shot bows that were 50" long down to that puny 32 1/2" and the results are as I always say. The longer bows are easier to get the better accuracy from.

I have never had a situation on the ground or from a treestand where a difference of of about 4-6" in length would prevent me from getting a shot. Put in in perspective. That's 2-3" more from the center of the bow. If that would make you hit a treelimb or something then a little more trimming might be in order.

I'm not familar with your bow, but if it is a real light weight then that can have a lot to do with it, too. Heavier bows aim better and don't move as much at the shot. In comparison, you don't see rifles in a target range with whippy little barrels on them. A little heft is certainly in order. I carry hunting setups that weigh between 7-8 1/2 lbs for just that reason. The exception to this might be someonbe living out west that climbs a lot of hills/mountains or treks for lots of miles in a day.

I'm just a little guy at 5'8" and I know from shooting that about 34-35" is as short as I'm going to go anymore. Been there and done all that stuff. I'll probably end up with something about 38-40" again this year.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

BGfisher, excellent post. I agree with you.

I have never had a situation on the ground or from a treestand where a difference of of about 4-6" in length would prevent me from getting a shot.
That'spretty muchwhat I say when some of my buddies look at my 66" longbow. It's just a myth that a bow has to be 30" ATA in order to use it from a stand.

If a person is shooting differently when outside of the "comfort zone" then a bow that will modify any form mistakes is not a good thing.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Ahhh how buck fever takes control. I shoot a Martin ProwlerSE ( 33 1/3 A-A)and find that I have to make sure my stand is set at the right height. If not I feel awkward like I am having to get over the rail on my viper. I do pratice from my evelvated stand height. I practice alot to see what problems I might encounter in the a real world situation. Practice makes perfect or as near as you might get.