Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting the wind???????

Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting the wind???????

For those of you who only hunt the wind, without using some kind of scent control.

While I was out blowing leaves off of my yard this weekend. The wind must have changed directions 20 times in an hour. I would be blowing leaves and they would go right across the yard. Then a couple of minutes later they would come right back in my face. Then they would go right and left. It was a learning experiance as to how my scent can pollute the whole woods if I was not careful. Plus it seems the deer don't always come in from where they are supposed to. Just something to think about
Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting the wind???????

A swirling wind is a problem, especially near the stand. The air moving around trees and over terrain can do funny things. I think it's important to do all you can as far as scent control is concerned as well as take wind direction into consideration. How many times, though have we hunted a stand according to wind direction and the deer came from a direction we don't expect. You just have to do the best you can.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 PM

Yes, I've never bought in totally to the guys that say play the wind. Down in creek bottoms, valleys, sides of ridges and many other places the wind swirls and comes from many directions. Plus in big woods, deer can come from any direction they feel like. I just try to be as scent free as possible and take my chances out there.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Yes, I've never bought in totally to the guys that say play the wind. Down in creek bottoms, valleys, sides of ridges and many other places the wind swirls and comes from many directions. Plus in big woods, deer can come from any direction they feel like. I just try to be as scent free as possible and take my chances out there.
True , if possible I try to get as high as I can , that helps a-lot.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't go over board on scent control, although I do try to minimize it to some degree, don't buy into the high dollar scentlok cloths, BUT this is the very reason that I am a skeptic to those that say, "He was directly down wind of me and never smelled me. My Scentlok works!"
When you're up in a tree and you think you know what way the breezeis blowing, do you really know what it's doing 15', 20', or 20 yards from you? Not really!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

If the wind changes in the deer's favor you're gonna get busted regardless of what you wear or how thoroughly you descent , try fooling your dog if you don't believe it . I don't care what's downwind of me because I will probably never see it and therefore never had a chance at it to begin with . The only deer that count are the ones directly in front of me right now , all others are just wishful thinking .
Old 10-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well ya it will change when your walking around in circles blowing leaves lol couldnt resist.

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

For those of you who only hunt the wind, without using some kind of scent control.

While I was out blowing leaves off of my yard this weekend. The wind must have changed directions 20 times in an hour. I would be blowing leaves and they would go right across the yard. Then a couple of minutes later they would come right back in my face. Then they would go right and left. It was a learning experiance as to how my scent can pollute the whole woods if I was not careful. Plus it seems the deer don't always come in from where they are supposed to. Just something to think about
Old 10-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Site Buck Guru

The wind, its direction and speed, are the number one factor in which stand I hunt. I have regular clothing, washed in plain water and hung out to dry. I hunt the wind. Period.

kevin1 -If the wind changes in the deer's favor you're gonna get busted regardless of what you wear or how thoroughly you descent
A truer statement has never been spoken.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really focus on wind direction with stand selection, but I also use Scent-Killer/Scent-Lok clothing. One particular stand I hunt seems that no matter where the wind is coming from, down in that bottom, it is alwaysblowing from the south east. Has to be the lay of the land. Swirling is a real pain though, so I usually take my chances if it swirls.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:53 AM

Absolutely, Greg and Kevin. You cant have everything, you can only try and put yourself in the best situation possible at the time.

BUT this is the very reason that I am a skeptic to those that say, "He was directly down wind of me and never smelled me. My Scentlok works!"
Agreed, and how many hours/days on stand and failed attempts did it take to be able to make that statement.

Quick Reply: Hunting the wind???????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.