Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Impact Question?

Old 10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow Impact Question?

I shot a doe last week and had a strange occurence. I had a 20 yard broadside shot from a treestand, perfectly clear no obstructions in a mature stand of pines. Took the shot and hit a little high and behind the shoulder but perfect for double lung and from an elevated tree stand. I watch her move away tail down and clearly hurting. I did notice about 6 inches of my arrow hanging out on the impact side of the deer as she fled. I'm thinking maybe the arrow lodged in her opposite shoulder. I wait an hour and start to trail the deer, No Blood. My brother joiined in the search and we find6" of arrow with flectchingon the ground about 20 yards from the shot. To make a long story short we searched for two hours w/o blood butfound her bedded and dead in thick briars about 80 yards away. When I gut here out my arrow entered her as described aboveand made a 90 degree inside her and lodged in the front ofher opposite back leg. When I skun her out my arrow entered between two ribs behind the shoulder? I shoot Rocket Sidewinders, 100 grain expandables with a Beeman hunter carbon arrow. Just wondering if anyone else experienced an arrow deflecting inside the deer like this?Are expandable broadheads known tocause this?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Arrow Impact Question?

When I skun her out my arrow entered between two ribs behind the shoulder?
Skun??? is that even a word???

Path of least resistance is my guess. Bounced off of a rib or something....strange.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Impact Question?

My father inlaw shot one like that. We trailed it and we could actually see where that deer rubbed the heck out of that arrow/side on a huge vine hanging from tree. It was covered in blood and thick hair. Rubbed it till he broke the end of the arrow off (fletching end aslo) So maybe it stopped and rubbed the arrow until it broke, making it shift somewhat in the cavity??