Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Use of scents.......

Old 10-30-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Use of scents.......

Ihave the last part of this week off work, so I am going hutning Thursday morning.This being my first year deer hunting, I needLOTS of help.Also, I will be hunting from a ground blind. I have been out a few times, this weekend produced me watching the does some 300 yards away.

What I am wanting to know, I have been told that the bucks are already chasing the does. Does this mark the start of pre-rut?? Is it too early to use an Esterus scent to draw them in??? I have the Tink's 69 Doe-IN-Rut buck lure, can I use this Thursday morning?? If not, what could I use to bring the bucks closer??

I know there are bucks there. A fork horn buck came in a couple of weeks ago and have seen a 6 point buck twice since the last week of September.

Thanks,
Old 10-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Use of scents.......

You have to put your blind in a place that a buck will be passing. Stand placement is the number one reason you will kill a big buck. If you get good at this you can forget about the scents. I havent seen a scent yet (others may argue) that will draw in a buck. The purpose of the scent is to stop the buck so you can draw. In other words he comes thru your set up ,you have a scent bomb or wick out and he will stop and sniff it. Then you make your kill. If your counting on your scents to DRAW in a buck I think you will be disapointed. Good luck