Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wow bow hunting is HARD!!

Old 10-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Spike

Default Wow bow hunting is HARD!!

This is my first full year at bowhunting, althought I have always been shoting my bow I just never went hunting with it. this year I did my homework and studied and shot my bow but it still didn't prepare me. I am hunting in a great spot between a bedding area full of rubs and scraps and a big oak flat. The deer travel back and forth. I have hunted this area before only in guns season so I knew the area.

But I found out bowhunting is totaly different! I hunt for meat to help feed my family so I am not picky when it comes to bucks so a week ago I had a small spike come 20 yards. Getting ready to draw back and relized I fogot my release at the base of the tree!! But I have practice using fingers before but it had been a few years. The young buck offered a perfect broadside shot and I took it, But watch my arrow fly over his back. I got down and found my arrow and realized I grazed the deer. With the deer walking away and no blood except one little drop on my arrow I knew it wasn't hurt bad and would live but went ahead and search the whole are just to be sure.

So I finally got to go hunting again yesterday and got there late due to time change and was in my tree for 45 min. when 3 does came out of the bedding area and heading right in front of me. The second doe was about 15 yards in front of me and offered the same perfect broadside shot this time I had my release. But wouldn't you know that one stupid little limb hanging there, that I didn't see at first because I was focuse on my pin and the deer, cause my arrow to fly over her back.

Bowhunting is the hardest thing I have ever done but I don't think I will ever pick my shotgun up again because bowhunting is hard but so much more rewarding and Iam confident I will get my first deer with a bow this year even though Ihave only taken 4 deer in 11 years hunting!!! But 2 of them came in the past3 years out of this stand I'm hunting now.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wow bow hunting is HARD!!

Getting ready to draw back and relized I fogot my release at the base of the tree!!
There are reasons I always preferred using my fingers instead of a release. Barebow instead of sights. Longbow or recurve instead of a compound. I always found it easier to get within solid shooting range than to try andjuggle all that STUFF.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Getting ready to draw back and relized I fogot my release at the base of the tree!!
There are reasons I always preferred using my fingers instead of a release. Barebow instead of sights. Longbow or recurve instead of a compound. I always found it easier to get within solid shooting range than to try andjuggle all that STUFF.
There isthe reason why I carry two releases
Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

[blockquote]quote:

Getting ready to draw back and relized I fogot my release at the base of the tree!! [/blockquote]

[/blockquote]

There isthe reason why I carry two releases
There is a reason why my release gets hooked to my bow when I am done.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Absolutely hook your release to your bow. EVERY TIME! Ask me how I know
Old 10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hook my release to my bow afterwards, as well. But I also practice with fingers on a regular basis. So if something happens where I didn't have a release, I would still be able to hunt with confidence.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

You'll get 'em..........The first thing I do once I'm settled in my stand is draw my bow and aim it at all my shooting lanes.......Reherse, in your head about different situations that might happen if that deer shows up. "OK I'll stop it there, 20 yard pin, aim at a hair, follow through, dead deer"
Good luck!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM

Practice, practice, practice! The rest will present itself in time.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i keep mine on my wrist from the time i get dressed until i get home and then it goes on my bow

Old 10-30-2006, 04:55 PM

Hey, if it were easy, EVERYONE would do it...

Quick Reply: Wow bow hunting is HARD!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.