Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Youth Hunt

Old 10-30-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Youth Hunt

Sat. and Sunday were youth hunts in my unit in TN. I had the priveledge to take my girlfriends cousin hunting on Sunday he was thirteen and never been hunting before. I watched the field we would be hunting Sat. morning and noticed the best place to sit would be an old hay crib bordering the field. I picked him up at 4:45 and tore out. He had never shot a gun with a scope so I coached him through it before we made it to the stand. He had never killed a deer so I told him that if he would aim for the spot behind the shoulder and squeeze the trigger he would be good to go. We stopped and picked up one of my friends and were in the hay crib by 5:30. It broke daylight and deer started entering the field, by 6:15 there were 12 deer eating and more running through the woods. He had his pick. He couldnt get steady enough to shoot inside the crib so he and my friend eased out and proped against the side while I watched the deer and guided their movement. I was absolutly amazed to see that the doe he shot dropped like a rock. I jumped out of the blind and we were all yelling and walking towards the deer, when another doe started running at us. I yelled,"HEY" and she stopped I jacked another shell into the 270 handed him the gun and he let'er rip. She fell dead also. First doe shot was all heart nothing but net, unbelieveable; second doe (an offhand shot) was through the neck. On a youth hunt you can kill 2 does and 1 buck all in the same day. It was something I will never forget. I know that this doesnt deal much with bowhunting but I thought I'd share.There is nothing like getting a kid started in hunting its a great feeling. And I am thankful that he took his first deer while he was hunting with me. Good luck to everyone this season.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Youth Hunt

Cool story SteveO,

I remember taking my kids out for their first hunts and the first deer taken with them. It truely is what memories are made of.

Congrats to the boy and nice job to you.

Good huntingand God Bless