Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

About ready to give up

Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Default RE: About ready to give up

let me tell you a little story. this guy i know kills a yearling doe with his first shot with a bow from a treestand on his first day bowhunting ever. 2 weeks later he kills a 140" 8 pt buck with his 2nd shot ever. both deer expire within 50 yds of his stand. lucky sob right? wrong this hunter learned absolutely NOTHING.he got busted time after time again for the next year and a half because he knew it all. well he finally learned to be stealthy. thenhe successfully shot at hit three deer he had shots at. problem they didn't die immediately. this hunter got out of his stand too soon pushed deer and failed to recover all 3 of them.

moral of the story: it is better to learn things before you need themrather
than later. bowhunting, no matter how long you do it is a learning experience ever time out. And no matter what you do deer will bust you no matter if it is a mature one or not? don't give up!!!

oh yeah that hunter was me...i think...i remember the doe and big buck but i would rather forget about the terrible trio that got away
Old 10-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to bow hunting! Don't freak out, just sit back and enjoy!
I have many stories like this one but you now have one.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Fork Horn

ANY day you see deer is a good day i my book. Well any day I am outdoors is a good day in my book. lol Whisker bisquit should helo a lot partner. don't give up and don't let little stuff get to you. also remember practice and take everything in consideration. Last note - a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work.-
Old 10-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always scan the woods and try to detect the deer as soon and as far away as I can. Then I ALWAYS stand the first opportunity I get (without getting busted)after seeing the deer. I dont' care if they are 300 yards away in an open field. If I see deer, I'm getting ready for a shot as soon as possible. I also usually stand with my bow ready for the first and last hour of light. Stick with it. It's all part of the game.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try practicing while sitting. If you can shoot with accuracy while seated there is a lot less movement.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

...don't wait until your hunting to find out your equipments not right. You should have all the bugs worked out before you ever get in the woods.
In this whole thread, that right there is the one bit of advice you need to take to heart. I would add that you need to shoot your bow in all weather conditions too. For instance, you don't want to be caught in a bit of a drizzle and have Ol' Mossy walk in on you, only to find out that your cable slide squeaks and chatters when it's wet.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a wisker biscuit also, but it makes a little noise as well. Especially when it is cold out. If you squirt a little water on it every so offten it won't be so loud.
I've done the same thing by sitting too long. Once I got busted while standing up to see what I'd heard going on behind me, so they were gone. The next time I sat still worried that if I stood they would see me and leave, well, they never saw me and they still left, so I never say them either, at least not in a shooting lane. Try moving real slow to see what is happening. You never know, you may have missed some really good oportunities to stand and draw if that is how you like to shoot.

I've also found that I like to draw early. I lean on the tree if it is in the right position with my right arm to relieve some of the energy of holding the string back. Works pretty well for me but my let off is pretty good too.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Out of all my hunting buddies, i have the quitest bow. Mine is even more quite than one of my buddies matthews switchback. I shoot a pse fireflight with a whisker bisquit. I have never had any problems with my whisker bisquit making any noise.