Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you move stands for rut?

Old 10-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you move stands for rut?

We (future fatherbrother in law)have been hunting the same stands for a month now and now we are second guessing ourselves as far as stand placements for the rut? We moved one stand today to open up shooting oppurtunities between two thickets.The new stand is on back above the two thickets. It is maybe 20 feet higherwith thickets 40 yardsin front and 60 behind. It is a perfect spot to see deer moving from one thicket to the next but itgives up cover to hunt. I think it will be a good rut spot catching deer jumping thickets, what do you think? How many of you second guess your set ups and think about moving? If so, where do you like to move your stands during the rut? I am talking in open woods settings. Not the usual spots like doe bedding areas, funnels and such. Any comments would be great.........
Old 10-29-2006, 03:29 PM

Default RE: Do you move stands for rut?

I just moved one stand today. I feel I need to be in the proper place to catch that buck. So if that requires moving a stand, so be it. I just try to make sure i'm as scent free as possible and try to make as little a disturbance as possible when moving stands. I don't do this very often but sometimes I feel there is a need for it.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

i moved 2 stands a few days ago, i like funnels or like u said spots between thickets that you have good visability. The bucks may be crusing the down wind edge of the thicket looking for does also.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:38 PM

I like to cut out numerous different stand sites before the season opens, that way if I'm seeing little activity in one spot one day, I can quickly, quietly, and easily relocate my stand to a new spot.

Saves money on buying lots of extra stands too.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:58 PM

on my priv land.i move my stands soon as leaves start 2 fall.move them from early season spot to more thick spot.on the public land i hunt i put all my satnds in the thickest nastyest thickets.an i have got 3 does an a 200 pound 8 point.in two years
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

As much as I don't like doing it, we move them. Sometimes a stand becomes "dead" for various reasons. If you can move one to increase your chances of getting a big buck then go for it. Go as scent free as possible and during the middle of the day if you can.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

I move stands all the time. I limit it to hanging stand and of course climbers. I leave the ladder stands put once they are in. I have had good results in freshly moved stands. I try to move them on windy or rainy days.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

This is my first year of hunting the rut.....and having a REAL game plan. I'm going to throw caution to the wind the closer we get to the rut, here, and get RIGHT ON TOP of their bedding area. I have a doe herd of about 25 that I'm privy to their hideout......and I can access it on both sides (Though I do NOT have access to the actual bedding area). My plan, this Saturday, is to put my son on one side......and I take the other. If there's bucks cruising......we're bound to see them.

I'm thinking the 11th is probably going to be prime time, here, though. NC SUCKS. It is illegal for me to BOWhunt the week of the 11th......during our ML season. For the life of me.....I can't understand the logic.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2006, 07:05 AM

I hunt funnels during rut.