Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gotta love scrapes.... pic!!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Gotta love scrapes.... pic!!

Hey guys, as some of you know, I have been spending alot of my time lately hunting an area that is full of scrapes and I have been seeing alot of bucks. We have had a steady rain for the past couple days so when it stopped yesterday my buddy and I were pumped to get out there and hunt. The winds were howling (25-30 mph with gusts over 50 mph). We decided to stay out of the trees and do a little spot and stalk hunting as the conditions were perfect.

We started by checking my Cuddeback which was set-up over a scrape. The scrape was gone, it was covered in 3 inches of water. I left the camera there not expecting to get any pics. We went on our way and were able to stalk to within 20 yards of two bedded bucks but they weren't shooters. My buddy just got his Swamp Ghost digital game cam and had it with him as he wanted to set it up on my property to see what he could get on cam. While sneaking through some thick bedding areas we found a very good rub line but there were no scrapes in the area so we made a mock scrape and set his cam over it. The evening ended with us set-up between a grown up fence row and a corn field but neither of us saw anything.

This morning I decided to head back in to my cam and "build" the scrapes back up. I figured that with that much water covering them yesterday there was no way the deer would build the scrapes in the same spot. When I got there I was pleasently suprised to find the water gone and the scrapes were back. I was excited to check the cam but I then noticed a branch had fallen and was covering the flash and part of the lens on the camera as well as part of the sensor. I checked it and only had two pics. I hung my scrape dripper filled with doe in heat urine over the scrape and put out a scent bomb filled with active scrape scent and a cotton pad covered in dominant buck urine in the branches above the scrape. I put a little active scrape, doe in heat, and dominant buck urine in the scrape, turned the cam on and headed back.

I wasn't expecting much of anything when I looked at the pics, but to my suprise I had a pretty decent 8 point on camera. He by no means a big buck but he ain't too bad either. The last week of season if given the opportunity I may just let the air out of this guy! I'll be in stand over-looking this scrape in tommorrow morning so hopefully I will get a better look at this guy.

What do you guys think? Sorry about the pic quality.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:12 PM

Default RE: Gotta love scrapes.... pic!!

He looks like table fare to me.

Good luck

God Bless

Old 10-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck. is my memory all goofed up or do you get a lot of trail cam pics of nice bucks? i'm awfully jealous!
Old 10-29-2006, 12:30 PM

is my memory all goofed up or do you get a lot of trail cam pics of nice bucks? i'm awfully jealous!
I've got a few
Old 10-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

As always, thanks for sharing, BM!
Old 10-29-2006, 03:17 PM

he wouldnt go pass me without a arrow in himgood luck
Old 10-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Nice pic, Ive got all my cams on scrapes right now, and hope I can start getting some good buck pics on scrapes.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

is my memory all goofed up or do you get a lot of trail cam pics of nice bucks? i'm awfully jealous!
I've got a few
Haha... a few. Jason, you may be the trail cam king. That's cool with me, keep them coming!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:38 PM

Jason, you may be the trail cam king.
Thanks dwd, but I wouldn't go that far James (JamesVee) and Joey (KSHunter) always have some great pics of some very impressive deer!

I'll be in my stand overlooking this scrape in about 7 hours and I'll be sure to let everybody know how it goes and I'll let everybody know if I get any new pics overnight!
Old 10-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't think twice about passing that one up.....unless.....there was a bigger one walking behind it!!!

Quick Reply: Gotta love scrapes.... pic!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.