Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

windy weather, argggg!

Old 10-28-2006, 09:00 PM

Default RE: windy weather, argggg!

Well i went out tonight just because i HAD TOOO, i havent hunted all week and i just had to go. Wind was blowin like 20 to 30mph.
About 6:10 i used the CAN and in like one minute i turned my head and looked back and had an 8 point standin right under me!!!!!!!!!!
Never heard him since it was so windy and all the rain we just had.
But he ended up seeing me in the tree and making a 35 yd circle around me.
I could have shot him but i already passed him once and it was tuff to do it again, But he is just not big enough. Like hes really close for me but something just keeps telling me wait.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokedogg_15

i was hunting today and was fine till like 10:30a.m. i heard thunder so i started to pack up by the time i was half way down the tree it started to get windy and then it went crazyat least 30-40 mph wind and hail the size of acorns i got back to the car and waited till it got clear again it was 12:00 p.m by that time so i started back in then i noticed the dark sky again so i grabed my stand i left there from the first storm off the tree and started to tie it up so i could leave when all of a sudding it started to hail again the wind picked up to like 50 mph and blew down an 18-24 inch ,20 foot high oak tree right it to me it hit me in the shoulder and hipcausing me to fall and when i fell the tree landed on my foot hard well i layed there for like 15 mins so i could figure out how the heck i was gonna get this tree off my foot well i had no choice but to try to roll it off and it worked i grabed my stuff and crawled out of the wood threw all my gear in the car and drove home still in my camo when i got home i took off the boot and my foot was swollen so i put ice on it and it didnt help so i went to the e.r.and had it looked at hey said it was only a sever sprain and sent me on my way i still cant walk and it hurts like he** but at least im not dead

mike
Good to see youre okay smokedog!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Dominant Buck

20-30 mph all day and again tomorrow with gust up to 40. Not a good time to be caught 20 feet up.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

5-10" of snow and wind gusts to 55 mph forcasted for today in WNY. I'm sitting home bored!
Old 10-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

When winds are 10 mph. or less it doesn't seem to bother them that much but the winds pick up to 20 and over it does effect there abilty to hear and smell.
Most of the time on real windy days the deer will stay bedded until the winds die down, after that then you might see more activity.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

[:@]It's never going to stop!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Just saw the 7 day forecast for WNY on the news. Rain, rain and more rain, plus wind anda chance of snow later in the week. I don't think antler restrictions will have a chancebecause nobody isgetting into the woods around here. There's going to be a lot of deer in WNY next year! Hopefully the weather will clear, just in time for the rut.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

[:@]It's never going to stop!!!!!!!!!!!
It has been lousy since the 14 th of October. We have had about 3 or 4 days where it was at all comfortable to hunt. Rain, Wet Snow WIND just lousy.

Tomorrow looks like it should be better but the rest of the week is rain again.[] Not seeing any bucks seeing some does. But the woods are all torn up with buck sign. Rut should get hot during the next few days. Still hunting though.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Spike

the problem is, we don't really have any bottoms to hunt. it's pretty flat. Should i hunt food sources or maybe some thick pines?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:51 AM

I'd go for the pines. I don't usually worry about it, because if it is over 10, I don't go. I know the deer will sometimes move, but out there, I have hunted high winds in gun season, right smack dab in the heat of the rut and saw nothing.

Around here, I just wish the weatherman would get it right! Today was the third day this season so far I didn't set my alarm because they forcasted 25mph winds all day. We had it at 40mph yesterday, so I tended to believe them. I get up this morning and the sun is shining with 8mph winds! ARGH! I just wish they would figure out what the heck they are doing...

Quick Reply: windy weather, argggg!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.