Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

will rattling still work in this situation?

Old 10-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default will rattling still work in this situation?

i know your supposed to use rattling when theres a 1 to 1 doe:buck ratio, but in the place i hunt its about16 does to 1 buck in some places...

will rattling still work or am i just making unessecary noise?
Old 10-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: will rattling still work in this situation?

I believe it can possibly draw attention but when each buck has that many does it is probably a lot less effective. I think I need to come help get rid of some of your does. lol
Old 10-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

yah theres so many here, u can shoot unlimited does or 7 does and 7 bucks... they even higherd a guy to cull the deer in one area.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Dang I hunt in ms and we hunt so hard just to see a couple of deer a year! You get to see herds. lol
Old 10-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

one day, i saw 16 does in 1 night, my friend saw 6 does and 2 bucks, and my other friend saw 1 doe he shot and missed... to many can be a bad thing tho, the deer dont get passed 180 lbs here very easily
Old 10-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I am almost positive that if there is a dominant buck in your area, just the fact that he hears someonelse fighting over the rights to his women he might come looking for the source. I would give it a try.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say very long shot odds given the scenario you described.If you knew you were in an area that two dominant bucks were working,then maybe.If you were to try I would have my sequences be pretty mild,if you intend to move or the day is coming to a close you can crank it up as you have nothing to lose.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:39 PM

The problem with high doe to buck ratio'sis that because of the high number of does, the bucks never really enter into a "RUT" phase. They are not worked as hard, because there are so many does , readily available to breed. They do not travel miles and miles looking for does, because they do not have to. So, with that said, the rut never kicks in like in more balanced herds.So the answer to your question is: Yes you can use rattling horns, and you may get a buck to come in out of curiosity, but not coming in mad, looking for a fight. They will not fight much at all, because dominance means nothing. There are so many does, that even the little spikes are getting all they want. The fight for domination establishes the breeding rights. If there is no dominance, then there is no fights, then what are they going to think when they hear you crank the horns up? They will be curious, because something just isn't right. But they will also be extra cautious, because something ain't right.

Hope this helped.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would hurt to give it a try , if there is a big boy out there he might come aroud to find out who's in his domain.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd definitely try it. if that one buck thinks that all of a sudden there's 2 more in the area he might want to go see what's up. the public land i hunt has a pretty high buck to do ratio (i'd guess the buck/doe is around 7/1...just a guess) and i've seen rattling work awesome out there. a buddy of mine brought one in from a couple hundred yards away. like he was on a string. it was his first bow buck ever.

i think a good time to try rattling is in the morning about 10 minutes before getting down. after the luck i had friday i'm going to make it a point to try rattling every morning hunt. can't hurt!