Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far?

Old 10-27-2006, 07:23 PM

Default How far?

I'm sitting here pretty bored, and a thought occured to me...I wonder how far away a deer can smell doe in heat pee.....Anybody?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How far?

I'd imagine 100's of yards. They claim they can smell humans over that distance and in the right instance, 1/2 mile or more so I'd imagine farther than we can imagine or assume.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know but i have always thought about scents this way...... we play the wind right to were it is blowing in ouf faces when we look at the but we gotta get teh scent to them without disturbing them or walking and letting them smell us plus the scent will be blowing back in your face and attract bucks behind you and then they will wind you most of the time.......everything contradicts itself so i am going to stick the the grunt call from now on or go silent[&o]decisions decisions[]
Old 10-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

A year ago when I shot the ten there was a hot doe in the woods. My whole woods smelled like piss. The BuckI shot was not from our farm, I seen 11 more that day. They just kept coming, as I was trying to leave they were crossing the river. It was nuts, I would guess a long long way, way further then we think we know.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's one reason I seldom use scents when bowhunting. You're trying to keep deer from smelling you by playing the wind and then try to put out scent that can only help you if a buck smells it from down wind.

Rifle season is a different story, though. Put that scent out 50 or a 100 yards on a right angle to the wind and watch out. It worked for me last year on an 11 point. It was actually the first time it has worked for me.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:17 PM

And guys, that's EXACTLY why I'm torn with that. Rob, I agree, I would imagine they can smell it a lot farther than we think they can. But then they can smell me at the same time, right? Everything I know says to keep the wind in your face so they can't smell you.....but in order for the scent to work, they would HAVE to smell me......

I dunno....but I'm gonna give it a whirl this weekend.....Let's hope.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

mo i gave it a whirl last friday scent blocked a whole bottle on me and he still smelt me......of course it could ahve something to do with me being on the ground un covered 5 yards away from a 7 and a 6 pointer[&o] what i would do though is drag in on your shoe and walk around alil while then put some on a stick and throw it where you want it to go
Old 10-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Maybe it's not how far but where. I know that as a young overheated buck I knew where the does were in heat. Distance didn't figure into the equation. I just traveled to the right watering hole.[8D]
Old 10-27-2006, 09:00 PM

david, rhetorical though it was, I think you may be onto something.......