Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

confused

Old 10-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default confused

a couple years ago, i found a 6 point buck that had broken half its rack off just above the brow tine. id like to score him but im not exactly sure how even after reading the P&Y scoring instructions. from what i understand, since there is only the broken main beam and G1 on the right antler, the G2, and G3 of the left antleris subtracted from the final score? also how should i measure inside spread, tip to tip spread and greatest spread? one last thing, is the total of the abnormal points subtracted from the final score?

thanks in advance for any advice
Old 10-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: confused

It would only be deducted if your talking net score, for gross score it won't matter. Here's what I did on my 04 buck for the HNI contest seen here:

His right side had a broken main beam. That "spike" is his brow tine.

I measure his left side as is.

I then measured his brow point (G1). I measured what was left of his main beam. I then took 2 circumf measurements on what was left of the main beam. I measured from the inside main beam of the existing beam to the inside of the brow. That's all I had to go with. If you have some main beam on that side, measure from the inside of the existing beam to the beam that is remaining between the g1 and g2. That'll get you some idea.

By the way, that particular buck almost scored 60" on one side, if the other matched he'd been 120 plus a mininal 16" spread making a 136 animal.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Rob. And i must say, WHAT A BUCK! Did u get that monster in PA????
Old 10-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yupper, the exact same field I shot this years buck out of. Just a different stand. Actually had I been in the stand I shot that buck, I'd shot this years buck out of it too. As it was, he walked out under that stand and I called him to the stand I was in.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

welli scored him. he turned out to be 83 2/8 and 81 5/8 net score

thanks again rob!