Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My year so far in Pike... (hunting log, kinda long)

Old 10-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default My year so far in Pike... (hunting log, kinda long)

Well, I have decided to start keeping a log, and I haven't really got the opportunity to hunt all that much this year so far, so i will post what I have seen.
Day one was opening morning and night. the morning was slow and meaningless, until a doe and her fawn put on a show for me and my cameraman, they stayed around, and i elected not to shoot, but they are a sight to see. It was a beautiful start to the season.
The night was the crazy night I posted about how We saw nothing but does and when it got dark, i got down and had a deer run at me and see me after reaching 10 yards, and me saying "holy sh*t) ... my buddy didnt see anybig bucks that weekend either. 2 weekends from then, we were back, but my cameraman stayed home, I told him to wait til the rut to come back and get some action on tape...but I wish I would have brought him. 1st morning was all does, as well as the night, until a yearling buck came trotting through, and a coyote who was messing with me after it got pitch black dark. Next morning was again, does just barely out of my range. along with some coons that strolled through. That afternoon we moved and hung a good rut stand hat I was going to sit in that night. It is along a creek and overlooking a BIG bottmland corn and bean fields. corn closest to me, and beans on the far side. Deer came out early and started my way, about 8 does, they got spooked and ran into the woods, I look behind me and see a doe staring at me from 5 yards below me. she didnt see me, just was cautious, I couldnt draw on her withou her seeing me though. Then a nice 130 8 and a yearling 6 came out about 200 yards away and started to feed. I enjoyed the veiw as a good 30-40 deer circulated into the field as it got dark. I heard 2 sets of yearlings spurring and snuck out unseen. It was a gorgous night, and this next weekend I will be hunting 4 days as the rut heats up. I am pretty stoked. I will keep everyne updated.
-DS-
Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My year so far in Pike... (hunting log, kinda long)

Did you put an entry Alaska is a state?[8D]

Was a very good read, nice job