Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sad day

Old 10-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sad day

Well yesterday was a sad day indeed. Let me begin with having a real hecktick day at work. Things finaly got settled down when i got a phone call from a friend. Log story short, my dream buck got hit by a car and is no longer lurking the woods where i hunt[:@]. I had been hunting this particular buck for 2 seasons now and as i have mentioned in the past, he was a main fram 10 pt. with drop tines on both sides. I hadnt seen him this year yet, but last year the drops were around 8 inches. He also had a few other kicker points on his main frame. The deer from what i heard will score atleast 140 inches but could go bigger, which for NJ is a deer of alife time. My friend didnt get much information about who hit it or whats being done with the deer, but we are trying to track that deer down so i can hopefully take a look at the beast upclose and personal. What a shame. I may never see another drop tine buck again in my life let alone a double drop, but it happens, nothing much i can do about it now. He was an old deer, atleast a 5 1/2 year old so im sure some of his sons are running around down there though.

The story doesnt end there. On another property that i hunt, my buddy hit a doe 2 nights ago and wasnt sure on the shot, so we backed out to give it some time. We couldnt go in yesterday morning cause of work, but got in early yesterday afternoon. We looked around and eventually came to a spot where for whatever reason, deer seem to go to this one small area to die every year. Normally we dont go into the area until after the season, but tracking the deer brought us there. I quickly came across a 7 point skull from last year. i yelled for my buddy to come and look and when i turned around i saw another buck. I knew him in a heart beat. I had scouted him all summer and could instantly pick out the 8 point by how his one brow tine angled outward. I examined him and he was completely eaten up by animals, but his neck was still intact. I flipped him over and there was no hole from being shot, but he could have been shot without a pass through and never found or been hit by a car, the spot isnt that far off the road. When i cut his head off, the meat was still fresh and bloody, so it couldnt have been over a day old. Since the fall bow season ends today and i still had a buck tag, i tagged him and took him with me to i can remember him. Ill keep my ears open to hear if anyone hit him, but i know most of the guys who hunt the area and they hadnt done it, so we willsee. I had scouted him all summer and was on his trail, but again, it wasnt meant to be.
I just cant believe that the 2 most recognizable bucks that i have been hunting got killed on the same day, or within days atleast. Well i guess i have to find another trophy to hunt. There are still a couple more deer left that i "know" but not as easily recognizable or ones of the caliber of these 2. But hey the rut is coming so maybe one of these bucks grandfathers will walk out, you never know. Sorry about the long post, just had to vent.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:16 AM

Default RE: Sad day

wow...that's a pretty rough end to the season there. The only road on the land I hunt gets maybe 4 cars a day through it...so there isn't a very good chance that a deer will get hit by a car...the neighbors taking them out at night on the field--that's another story[:@]

Hopefully you'll see some of the double drop tine genes show up next year again!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

That's not something you want to come across while out scouting or hunting. Thing is you can't hunt for one buck because then you'll pass on other bucks that are shooters and then you'll be mad at yourself if you don't get that ONE buck when you could have gotten a really nice one.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is unbelievably bad luck. I have a theory that over time luck evens itself out. So, hopefully that means that next yearwill be unbelievably good!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasnt going to hold out for only those 2 bucks, but they were on my hitlist. The double drop was # 1 and the curved brow tine 8 was up there too. In NJ, we are allowed to shoot 3 bucks with a bow, 2 with a shotgun and 1 with a muzzleloader, soi have a few that im after. My season is in no ways over, but i the double drop tine one does hurt, probably will never see another animal like that again in my life.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

sad sad sad day.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:04 PM

Man, that has to be a major let down..... Sorry to hear it. But remember one thing, thee are always more bucks out there that you have not seen. You may just happen upon another that will be a trophy for you to chase for a season or two.

Good luck and God Bless