Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I a Loser??? Or doing something wrong??

Old 10-26-2006, 08:29 PM

Default Am I a Loser??? Or doing something wrong??

Well it's now 26 days into season and I haven't killed a thing!! I've been waiting for my first bow kill and Man I'm discouraged! It's the same thing every year. My brother and both my cousinsSmokedoes in the first week!
And here I sit the only one that's never killed one with a bow!! I hunt hard I get in the woods at least oncealmost everyday. I have passed a few that were around 30 yards the reason why is because I'm also the only one that wounded an 140 class buck last year! I've also passed some small bucks and fawnsI just need a good doe at 20 yards. I've practiced alot and can shoot 2-3 inch groups up to 40 yards. Should I be shooting a deer at 30 yards? It just scares me because all I need is another wound on my record!! Why can't I get them any closer? I just don't want to pull another stupid shot.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Am I a Loser??? Or doing something wrong??

Well your heads in the right place for sure. If more people thought like you there would be alot less wounded deer. Sounds to me like your ready for that 30 yd. shot. You can do it.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:55 PM

Think about your stand location
Are you hunting the same stand everyday?
The deer may have you pegged?
If you can shoot a 3" group at 40 yards you can make a 30 yard shot if conditions are right.
If the shot doesn't look/feel right don't take it
Get out there and get a deer!
Good luck
Old 10-26-2006, 09:08 PM

Well, after your little pitty party, figure out what it is your not doing quite right. OK...you see deer, but just not close enough, right? So maybe move your stand. Don't be afraid to move right in on top of them....The rut's getting ready to kick in, so be ever watchful. You are apparently consistent in what ever it is you're doing, so do something different. Whether it be the route to your stand, moving your stand, hunting a different food source.....

But my guess is your scent is killing you. I used to think..."Ahhh....the wind is close enough. I'm high in a tree anyway, they can't smell me. I've washed everything and taken a shower...How could they possibly smell me?"

I tell you, they DO....Mix it up.....change things around.....do something different....there's a piece of the puzzle you're missing..
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Yeah I've been having a pitty party for the last couple of weeks! And I've been changing stuff around and I take scent killing very serious! And watch the wind. Idon't get it. Before season I was going out and video taping deer and seeing all kinds of stuff close. But after I get a bow in my hand they won't come near me!!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Well I am new to bow hunting so my advise may not be the best or completely right but, like the others said, if you are shooting tight groups at 40 yds I would think you are good to go at 30yds if a nice clear broadside shot comes available. I Have nice groups to 30 yds(haven't tried further) and will only shoot a deer at 20 yds. Butif you are worried you should also practice from elevated levels the same height as your stand just to make sure you're shooting the same from that kind of angle. Maybe you already do this, just a little advice from a rookie! Hope this helps and if I am wrong about anything someone please let him/me know. Just trying to help a little.
Good luck,
Brandon
Old 10-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

why dont you shoot as far as you honestly believe you should...but no further just based on other people's 'think'.

Desperately need to kill something? Sorry but to me that sounds like your reasons for being out there could use some evaluation....just a suggestion, but enjoy the times for their own sake and it will make the whole season more enjoyable.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 PM

Clear your head and get out there and hunt .... for the right reasons. You are putting way too much pressure on yourself , and I suspect it is getting worse with every outing. Tell yourself you don't care about the kill, and mean it. Go for the pure enjoyment of getting out into Gods country, and relax.

Also, listen to what the others have said. If you are hunting the same stand , or in the same basic area, move around a bit. Try something different to break the cycle and the monotany. If they have your location pegged, you can hunt there till the cows come home and nothing will change. And if you can hunt higher, even just a few feet, try it. Don't limit yourself. Use your " deer sense " , to figure out what they are doing. And trust yourself to make a good shot. Confidence is a MAJOR part of the hunting mind set.

Good luck and God bless

Old 10-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Dominant Buck

One of the worst things you can do my friend is compare yourself with others. I didn't score either but this year was 100% better than last. I goofed up 2 opportunities ..both within 10yds.
BUT...

It was my first year even seeing anything during bow season.
I got to expereince the Serious Shakes...that was fun.[8D]
Through you guys I've gained alot of insight.

From all the lost deer we've read about I also agree that you are a very ethical hunter to wait for the right shot. Your a good man.
c7

Old 10-27-2006, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before you take any shots, make sure your broadheads are grouping well at the ranges you intend to shoot. Some guys can shoot nice groups at 40 yards and then find that their broadheads don't group so well, or even hit in the same spot as their fieldpoints. If you can group then well at 40, you should be fine taking a shot at 30 yards.

Quick Reply: Am I a Loser??? Or doing something wrong??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.