Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I a Loser??? Or doing something wrong??

Old 10-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Am I a Loser??? Or doing something wrong??

Some guys can shoot nice groups at 40 yards and then find that their broadheads don't group so well, or even hit in the same spot as their fieldpoints.Dave H.

Very true Dave. I shot different broadheads to see which ones shoot best for me.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:07 AM

Good advise Dave H
I should not assume everyone shoots their broadheads before season to make sure they hit the same spot as field tips.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's why it's called hunting.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:23 AM

First of all, hunting buddy's will do that It's part of the "game" to razz the current underdog, at least in my group of hunters it is. Don't take it personally first and foremost, it could very easily be them who come up empty handed.

Hunting is a waiting game, and patience almost always pays off. I have read posts from guys on here that have bowhunted 15 years and never saw a single deer. It happens, it's hunting. I like the phrase, "That's why they call it hunting, not killing."

A good hunt isn't always determined by harvesting success. A good hunt is when you are in the woods enjoying what God has provided to all of us, the birds, squirrels, various woodland creatures.... the sounds of the leaves falling through the trees and the frost melting off. Watching the sun rise or set over your setup, just enjoying the great outdoors.

Take the pressure off yourself and when you go out tell yourself that today I am going to enjoy everything around me, and if a deer comes out, I'm gonna enjoy that too, even if it isn't in shooting range. If you put so much pressure on yourself, you are going to choke when one DOES get into range, so best to just relax.

Don't sweat the small stuff, just be happy you are in the woods and not sitting at a school desk or in the office working for the man.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Build your confidence. Practice from an elevated position with practice broad heads. Then you'll know the answer to your question.

Tom
Old 10-27-2006, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Shooting a deer is soooooo different than a target. When you get an animal in range you have to FOCUS soo hard. The deer moves. Targets don't....obviously. I concentrate on three things when I get a deer into range. Yardage, pin selection, and a small SPOT on the animal. I've blown each of those three things in the past so that's what I concentrate on now. It can still be tough. It's the real deal and the heart is a thumpin!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Dominant Buck

I've been deer hunting exactly a year, now. Here's MY take:

I don't think you're odd for thinking you need to get something on the ground. I felt internal pressure. I spent a LOT of time....energy.....money....etc...on my equipment....and I was out there to hunt. I LOVE being in the outdoors.....and I don't have to kill a deer to have an AWESOME hunt....BUT.....the truth is....we're there to kill deer. THAT....I promise you....I understand.

Now.....I was in EXACTLY the predicament you're in.....and my teammate (GHemry) told me something I haven't forgot. Dude.....go out there and HAVE FUN! I was 21 days into my season when I relaxed......settled down.....and said I was going to have some fun. I even said I was gonna mix it up a little......hunt a different little area (I moved 60 yds).........hunt the middle of the day......run with scissors!!! I shot my '06 buck the next day. I relaxed.....mixed it up a bit....and stopped worrying. I haven't looked back. I shot my 2nd deer of '06, Tuesday....(24 days later)....my little piebald.

Another friend of mine is a great hunter.....and a former national competition archer. He recognizes the efforts I put inot this passion of mine. He also has played golf with me (I'm a former PGA PRofessional). He told me to HUNT like I play golf (Actually.....so did GHemry.....HMmmmm???). He said when we play golf I joke around.....have fun.....and beat the ever living shxt out of everybody we play with. I have that confidence on the golf course when I've practiced and it's coming naturally. He told me to HUNT that way.

I'll never look back.

I AM blessed with hunting spots that hold a lot of deer......but MY attitude has gotten me closer to them. I'm convinced of that.

Good luck to you in '06. RELAX.....and have some fun.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seriously, that's hunting. I haven't put anything on the ground yet. Do I care? No. Being in the woods does it for me. You can't put that pressure on yourself because when the moment of truth comes around, you won't have any confidence because you'll be too afraid that you'll screw it up. Gain some confidence. Quit thinking you're a loser cause you're not. Dude you have to believe in yourself, and when the opportunity presents itself, smoke that animal, go get it and post it up on here. You'll feel better before too long. Keep your head up.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

He told me to HUNT like I play golf (Actually.....so did GHemry.....HMmmmm???). He said when we play golf I joke around.....have fun.....and beat the ever living shxt out of everybody we play with. I have that confidence on the golf course when I've practiced and it's coming naturally. He told me to HUNT that way.
[8D]I like that.

** Also just remember it only takes 1 minute out your season to turn a seemingly miserable season into perhaps your best ever . Never know when a wallhanger will stroll by 15 yards dead broadside to you.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put your time in.. In and out of season... Scout and rescout... If you are in an area that holds deer, it is just a matter of time... Look at your stand placement and approach to and from stand... Could you be doing anything differently? Scent control?

Quick Reply: Am I a Loser??? Or doing something wrong??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.