Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Go ahead as planned.
47.87%
Drive to another spot.
25.53%
Go home.
0%
Stay parked but hunt a different spot.
23.40%
Other.
3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

You're not first - what next?

Old 10-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: You're not first - what next?

This is my first year of hunting public land. I generally try to get there early so that other people will have to decide whether they are going to walk in on me.

The places I hunt have limited parking spots. So, you could be hunting a mile and a half from the parking lot, but your vehicle will have plenty of company.

If there was a ton of access spots and parking, then I'd probably move on to the next spot.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:30 PM

You have as much right to be there as he/she does. Proceed as planned, but I will say if you discover the other hunter in close proximity to your location, a move will be required. But that could work to your advantage as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proceed as planned. he could have gone in any of 360 degreees and could be a mile away from your spot. If you get to "your" spot and he's there, move on and get up and get out earlier the next time hoping he will extend the same courtesy to you.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Happened to me 3 years ago. Being a teacher I'm off the entire Thanksgiving week. I drive to the 59,000 acre WMA. I see one other truck there.???[:-]So I drive thinking ..YES!! I got this whole place to myself. UT oh guess who is parked where I park.Mr. blue truck. We are both heading upi a trail that is 2 miles long. I said,"How far is your stand?" he says," Oh, about 1/4 mile." I said good.Mine is 1/2 mile. I'm going back to this desolate spot whereI killed a small spike buck.One pine tree in a palmettoe field that you can see a sapling crossing between 2 bayheads. I'm in my Summit .

Then all of a sudden I see a light and hear that sound of loud splashing coming through a bayhead heading toward my tree. [:@]
I reckon we both got disappointed. He went about 100yds and set up in another pine tree. I stayed for about 1 1/2 hours and left....

So now...as many have mentioned before. It's good to have more than 1 good spot.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:56 PM

I'd probably find a different spot. I know that I'd hate to have someone walk into where I'm set up at, so I just don't risk it. Plus, I always have a bunch of other spots in mindthat I'm able to check out to see if there's another good area.

But luckily, not many people hunt in the area that I do. Some people do go off-roading on the trails there sometimes(including me) but they don't hurt anything.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends - here in MI it is legal to leave a portable stand up. If I've spent a day or more scouting an area and putting in a stand, I'm going to that stand regardless if there are other vehicles parked or not. If I didn't have a stand already up (walking in with a climber for example), I may or may not head into "my" location. That would also depend on a couple things - if it were a morning or evening hunt. If it were the morning, I may choose to head up the road a bit then come back to my 1st choice of spots in the afternoon simply because if a confrontation is forthcoming, I would rather it be in daylight.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Happens to me too often. I get very depressed when I go toward my stand and someone is there or too close for comfort. I don't have many spots anymore. The park I hunt has closed off much of the land my other spots were on and it pushesother hunters closer together. I just decided to get there earlier than them. I just hope they have enough sense not to set up right on top of me! I know it's public land and these are the things one has to deal with.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:38 PM

Public land is first come, first served, but I would go ahead as planned.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:38 PM

Well, I've been to public ground where it was so packed, the only way you could have a parking spot opening day was to claim it and stay there the day before. Don't see much point in trying to get into a situation that crowded! Otherwise, I would probably move on just because I don't want to end up right on top of someone and maybe not know it til sunrise. I know I would not appreciate somebody setting up under my nose after I was there. Besides, you never know who's out there and I don't want to be mistaken for a whitetail (or run into some nutcase). This is a midwest scenario - might look at it differntly out West....
Old 10-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

go in as planned if hes there find another spot and appoligize for walking in on his hunt and wish him luck. do not start a confrontation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.