Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

....stalking?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 PM

Default ....stalking?

With it being so wet this fall here in Vermont, the woods have been VERY quiet. The bed of wet leaves on the forest floor has made for outstanding stalking conditions.

I havn't seen much talk about people hunting in this fashion, mostly treestands and their locations. I can't deny the benefits of treestands, but figured on trying something new this season.....and the excitement so far has been memorable!!

This evening I spotted 4 deer across a field, about 200+ yards. I was able to make my way around the field to get in position with the wind and it put me on the other side of an island of trees that were 30-40 yards from the deer. I made my way to the trees and shrubs and got myself into position hoping that they would continue past me to the middle of the field. I knocked an arrow and took a knee.....as i was setting the bow on my boot the cam snagged the only "dry" branch in the northeast and the snapp seemed to echo!!

They all perked up and stared right in my direction, but knowing i was well hidden behind a pine tree i just held out. 5 minute go by (which seemed like an eternity) and a doe starts to make her way in my direction....no longer feeding, but investigating. I had no chance of drawing my bow without her spotting. At 15 yds she caught my outline......blew....and ran.

As i replay this scenerio......I wonder if i should have just drew my bow anyway while she was approaching. She would have spotted me, but most probably would have stopped that split second to shoot.

....even as i write this, I'm still second guessing myself!!

there's always tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ....stalking?

To be truly honest Wry, I enjoy hunting out of a stand, but it's not anywhere near as exciting (for me) as hunting off the ground or stalking. Some will call me crazy for this, but there have been many times that I have hung my climber on the tree at ground level. Granted it may not be as "successful" as more common methods, but it sure is cool being face to face. When I kill an animal that I've stalked, I have a much greater feeling of accomplishment than I do after killing an animal out of a stand. Kind of like killing a deer with a bow as opposed to killing a deer with a rifle. Keep it up and it will make you a better hunter in many aspects.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:26 AM

Default RE: ....stalking?

Thanks dwd......i can honestly say I can't remember the last time I was in a tree. All my success here has been in ground blinds that I've made along selected routes and some combination of scents. We usually don't have condintions like this, we either have dry loud leaves or icey crunchy snow. So i figured I'd take advantage and try it out.

I'm glad people complain around here about there not being any nice deer....keeps them outta the woods.......and my "wall" is looking better each year!!