Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Knees Shaking

Old 10-25-2006, 09:34 PM

Default RE: Knees Shaking

Yep I shake like crazy too no matter what kind of deer is, the strange part of this is that when I have a hog in front I don't shake a bit.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know what it is, but sometimes I'm fine (at least I think so, until I botch the shot by rushing it) and sometimes not. Last Sunday 5 minutes after I got settled into my stand I heard some leaves crunching. I stood up and got ready, and a big doe with 2 skippers appeared off to my right where I had no shot. I just about forgot how to breathe. I was shaking pretty good telling myself to calm down. Well, I finally did calm down, but they got behind me and winded me... Oh well, I suppose if I didn't get excited it wouldnt be worth it.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:53 PM
cas

I've had on two occasions, shaking so bad I couldn't shoot. (bow and firearm) Both times were a combination of cold and adrenaline. Both were in the evening when I'd been pushing myself. I'd gotten cold and needed to go, but was trying squeeze out those last few minutes. Already shivering pretty good from the cold, when the deer showed up and the adrenaline starting pumping, I couldn't control the shakes. Now I know there's no point in pushing myself like that (not that you should anyway) because if something does show up, I won't be able to accurately shoot anyhow.

The one time it was so bad I basically came unglued. I shook so bad it was like convulsions. Shivering so bad I was making noise and my teeth chattering and my jaw popping. I couldn't catch my breath. There was no chance of me shooting anything but myself.

That one time was years ago and it messed me up pretty good for a while. It lingered... a combination of physical and psychological I guess. That following summer I tried to make a pistol shot on an animal and I started shaking just like I had the frozen night the winter before. That had never happened to me before, I never ever got excited on varmints but I was shaking uncontrollably. A few months later the same thing. It really worried me because I couldn't control it. Hunting situations that were really no big deal, now had me shaking so bad I couldn't shoot. Gradually it got less and less over time, and finally went away but it was frightening. I can't explain it, but I'm glad it's gone.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:25 AM

im glad thatim not the only one that shakes...lol i cant hardy stand after i shot a deer, i can remember my knees doing it when i was a small lil fellow and they still do, u would think a mans nerves would stop doing this, after he gets a few deer under his belt, but they dont....gotta love it though its a rush of excitment of that moment that i wouldnt sell or trade of no amount of money...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't really get worked up until after I make the shot on a decent deer. Until then, it's just fun to watch them.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:59 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW !!! Great post. I thought I was weird or something . It is quite the rush and now I see why you all love bow hunting..to get the shakes [8D]You are all a bunch of Archery Junkies.

I looked like I had Parkinson's Disease up there. Twice I tried standing and could not. I had to pray really hard to stand. I used every bit of muscle I had and barely was able to stand. Then ..once I stood my darn hands were wobbling...over a silly pig with maybe 2 meals on it.LOL

I've never had this happen during rifle. It is quite the rush though and I can't wait till next archery season.
C7
Old 10-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, most definitely. Thats why I think we all love hunting so must as its such a rush. If it goes away and doesn't botherme anymore then I don't think I would hunt anymore. Its the thrill of the hunt that keeps us out there I think.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My heart beats fast when i hear it coming it and see it but i dont shake at all till after i made the shot. Then its a different story i start shaking and all that goood stuff...
Old 10-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm glad someone posted this. I watched some guys on TV the other night taking bucks in Missouri.....and one of them asks after the shot....."Is there anything else like this in the world?".

Nope.

I had 6 deer under me last year.....and I KNEW I wasn't going to draw down on ANY of them.....and I was STILL shaking like a leaf......to the point I thought they might hear me bumpin into myself. GOD PLEASE NEVER LET ME LOSE THAT.

I asked my bow shop owner about this. he's harvested several deer in several states. He shot a smallish sized rack buck (but a HOSS of a body on him) last year.....and he told me (smiling ear to ear) that he had to position his knee up against the tree to keep it from shaking him off the stand when he shot it!! That's being honest......and that's why I love this thing we do.

I wish I could bottle this stuff...........

Jeff
Old 10-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never shake but my heart beats so hard that it forces the air out of my lungs. Sometimes it beats so hard I start thinking the deer might hear it.

Tom

Quick Reply: Knees Shaking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.