Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

depressing.......but thats just hunting.....

Old 10-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default depressing.......but thats just hunting.....

well i went our for a few hours after school today with my bow and set up on a log on a know well used trail...about 5:15 i saw a doe coming down the trail and let it pass me....i hit the "lil can" doe bleat and about 30 seconds later a NICE 8 or 9 pt buck came stompin down the trail...i dropped to one knee, drew my bow, waited for him to get in the clearing, grunted and stuck it to him....it was a lil far back in the liver at 20 yards away and the arrow sunk in him (not as deep as i hoped), the deer trotted off with my arrow as if nothing happened to him....i found a few drops of blood where he was when i shot but with every frggn leaf on the ground bein red i couldnt find any more...i waited about 30 minutes and started up the trail that he took...i ran out of daylight and never found my trophy......this would have been not only the biggest deer ive shot yet but my first with a bow...im goinf back tomorrow after school to continue looking.....
Old 10-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: depressing.......but thats just hunting.....

Don't sweat it. Go back tomorrow and find your deer. It will be cold enough tonight where he won't spoil. He may stink when you gut him but the meat will be just fine. Hose him out good when you get him home.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2006, 07:54 PM

Go get him tomorrow. If you hit the liver he probably won't go far.
Keep us posted
Good luck
Old 10-25-2006, 08:03 PM

Good luck on your search tomorrow

You'll find him

Old 10-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't have to go too deep to hit liver, and if it was a liver shot he'll die within a couple hours and if you didn't jump him up he's not far from where you were..
Follow blood (on hands and knees if ya have too) until you just can't find anymore.. Then start a zig-zag pattern of walking back and forth for several hundred yards, will take a while but if he's down and you hit him where you think then you'll find him..

Good Luck..
Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I liver shot a buck 3 years ago....take your time tomorrow, mark every area you find blood( you may have to look 400-600 yards, be prepared to look for awhile)....you will start noticing a pattern. Mine ran its rub line..then started to go downhill towards water...found him 3 yards from a creek/tangled in a mess of thicket.

vashadow
Old 10-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

im going to go to the thickest nastiest stuff i can find in the area i think he is and hope i find him trying to take cover in that stuff.....if that dosnt work ill go to the nearest water source....man i hope i find this buck.....and i want my arrow back god dernit.....
Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

let us know how you do...good luck
Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

i was trudging through almost evey square foot of that land from 3:00PM till dark (approx 6:30) and all i found were 4 drops of blood and some hair within 100 yards of the shot....never found my arrow, never seen the deer again.....i guess this one just got away....
Old 10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

no dont settle for that, that deer WILL die with a liver shot, no doubt about it, keep looking for a couple days even if you find it and the meat is bad you would still want the head

Quick Reply: depressing.......but thats just hunting.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.