Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

depressing.......but thats just hunting.....

Old 10-27-2006, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: depressing.......but thats just hunting.....

I'm guessing you didn't hit him in the liver. Sometimes your eyes play tricks on you.
Also just a comment about blaming the bow and the heads....YOU knowingly chose to use an ill advised set up. Take the blame yourself and learn from it.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

You sure you didn't hit him in the paunch? I've done that in the past and found a little blood and hair, but I kept looking and eventually found her. I left her overnight and found her after about 4 hrs of grid searching the area the next day.
45lbs and mechanicals are a bad combo, but I'm sure that you know that now. Find a decent head for your setup and good luck the rest of the year.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

this is definately a bad setup..ive had it since i was 12 (im 16 now) and like i said wanted just one more season out of it because it shoots sooo nice...im now usin a 75 grain muzzy fixed blade broadhead for the rest of this season.....afetr this season im going down to kevins archery shop down in greene county(dont know if any of you shop there but he is a great guy) and gonna get me a nice used bow setup.....last year my dad got a nice hoyt reflex lefty with all the fixins, drop away rest, adjustable sight, new string and release for like $300 and he has great success with it....
Old 10-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Dominant Buck

So a doe came down the trail and didn't notice you. That part is good. Then you decided to make noise and all that. WHY???? You're on a well used trail. It's the time of year for bucks to be wandering. Just let nature take it's course. No need to go making artificial noises without seeing a deer. That doe passing by was the best thing that could happen. That buck wasn't following your call. And then you put him on alert after he shows(on his own) and you feel a need to grunt at him. He was following the does scent. don't put him on alert at 20 yards... just shoot him.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

yeah well i got a little excited and maybe did a few things wrong but either way the deer came and gave me a diecent shot.....i just didnt hit him where it counted...
Old 10-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Youll have that....
Old 10-28-2006, 01:31 PM

Well your eyes can play tricks on you!! Last year I shot a REALLY nice 11 point! I told everybody it was a great shot. We found very little blood and looked for days. On opening day of shotgun season a guy that hunt with me shot him. We found my broadhead in the backstrap!! So I looked a little dumb but I still remember hitting him in the kill zone. I thought!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

your right...jus because thats where it LOOKED like it landed dosnt mean i hit him there.....i still got alot of archery season left im sure ill get at least one more chance....
Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

My advice to you is to relax and get back out there. Your set up isfine.I is more then the minimum allowed in your state. You just didn'thit where you thought maybe. Next time take your time, think of the shot and good luck.I wish I was bow hunting at 16. I was only interested in the girls at that age.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

i been bow hunting since i was 12......i have never gotten a deer with a bow thats why i was so excited about this one....

Quick Reply: depressing.......but thats just hunting.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.