Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story

Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story

I have JUST gained permission to hunt 2 small woodlots near my home…..and I thought I’d slip in their yesterday (1st time in there) to see what might be moving through there….and which direction they were moving. We’ve seen deer on this property before…..but we’d never been in the woodlines. I saw some good sign (tracks, and plenty of them….along with good, worn trails) and I picked a tree that I could get my climber up that had some pretty good cover.

I’d just gotten up the tree……and I hadn’t even had time to get my bow up when I heard the tell-tale crunching and something approaching. I got my body up against the tree (I hadn’t even had time to get seated for a minute)…..and stood still. Sure enough……it’s a deer. It had followed my trail all the way to my tree……and was trying to figure out why I wasn’t there. It stomped……looked…..sniffed (I sprayed down GOOD)….stomped….stomped some more…..looked around…..and after about 10 minutes….it walked off. Whew.

I finally got my bow up…..got my release on……got my bow hook hung…..got settled in……and sat down for a minute. I hadn’t been sitting 10 minutes when the deer came back. I stood……..I waited for a good time to draw. I waited ‘til it got behind a tree (I had a tree in front of me which was PERFECT)……and I came to full draw. I settled the pin for a good target….and sent my arrow. It connected a little high….and I spined it. I watched this deer drag itself about 5 yds before I had another arrow nocked…..and I sent it. Perfect shot (the second one). Recovery was about 10 yds……but not before I heard this little deer cry…..and not before I sat and watched it expire…..and take its’ last breath. I can say I’m OK with everything that happened…..but I don’t ever want to witness that again (I pray). It was over in 1 minute.

I thought this “deer” was a doe……but it ended up being a button buck. For that…..I’m a bit remorseful……but there were other factors involved. It was my first ever encounter with a piebald. I field dressed him with my son…….skinned him……cleaned him…..and I have the hide in my freezer (as of this morning) to go to the taxidermist. I thought it was a smallish sized doe…..but I’ve only been hunting a year, now…..and he was by himself. He’s not the biggest deer in the world…..but I shot him….and I processed him…..I’ll eat him…..and I’ll have the hide to remember him by forever.

Here’s a photo (see below)of my ’06 piebald.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story

'06 Piebald

Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

#2 photo

Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the 2nd!! He sure is a cute lil guy, whatcha gonna do with the hide? Have you been seeing other piebalds in your area?? I've never seen one on the hoof.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! Congrats!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the hide in the freezer.....ready to go to the taxidermist....for tanning. I'll have it forever.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great work on the piebald. Dont feel bad at all about shooting him. There are plenty of deer in the woods and taking one button buck out of the area certainly isnt going to hurt youe future hunting. Great work and make sure to post a picture of the hide when it comes back. Your having a heck of a first season!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice congrats
Old 10-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even though hes small, congrats, do a full body mount andset him in a glass coffee table thoes are pretty neat.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

wis....

He's VERY small......but like I said.....he was by himself. I was in woods I'd neve been in....I had NOTHING for reference. If I'd known it was a button head .....would I have shot?? I'm not going there. I did what I did. I'm "OK". I know you're not judging me......but someone likely will. I'll live with my decision.

Jeff

Quick Reply: My 2nd '06 Deer.....the story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.