Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Old 10-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Well for some guys maybe......wait.....

Just joking...Good luck finding him though, just trying to get a laugh. Shooting a buck, especially a nice one and not finding it within like an hour of looking makes you want to leave your own blood trail. Good luck
Old 10-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

well i serched for 4 hours last night and found blood about 50 yds from where i shot just tiny pin drops and spots where he rubbed up against the corn stalks. The blood lasted about 30 yards and then nothing. The corn field he ran into is around 150 acres so thers not much hope. I just hope he lived. Cuz if i got heart/lung he would of died in less than 150 yards.[:@]
Old 10-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

How was the deer positioned when you shot?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

I don't want to sound harsh but 4 hours isn't enough time. Just because you think you lost blood doesn't mean there isn't a trail to go off of. Make some circles or some zig zag searches. Look on the underside of stuff. All you need is a pin drop to get the direction and get you going on the right trail. There is no excuse for giving up after 4 hours.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just because you think you lost blood doesn't mean there isn't a trail to go off of. Make some circles or some zig zag searches. Look on the underside of stuff.
I agree four hours and give up ? Also I would be looking for a deer track with the deer walking with it's toes spread. An old timer informed me of
that. He said that a wounded deer will walk with it's toes spread for balance. Any ways I am sorry to here about your luck.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: wi_buckstomper

well i serched for 4 hours last night and found blood about 50 yds from where i shot just tiny pin drops and spots where he rubbed up against the corn stalks. The blood lasted about 30 yards and then nothing. The corn field he ran into is around 150 acres so thers not much hope. I just hope he lived. Cuz if i got heart/lung he would of died in less than 150 yards.[:@]
Sounds like one weak attitude to me. First of all, I have seen single lung shots travel up to a half of a mile..it doesnt take that long for a deer to cover that kinda ground. I would check every single yard of that cornfield, you owe it to that deer, especially if you hit him the shoulder and hit a lung, he is dead by now.
I use this rule...if you think you hit the animal, you owe at least two full days of tracking, grid searching, and crawling around on your hands and knees searching for even the slightest hint of that animal. Way too many hunters shrug off bad shots and say "oh well" and start hunting again just to get back to the "fun" part.
Man up and get back out there, if you hit any lung, that buck is dead.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

At least walk up and down every corn row. 150 acres is a big field but not that big of a chore when it is dried down. How bad do you want to find your deer? If he is dead he is in the corn.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mez

At least walk up and down every corn row. 150 acres is a big field but not that big of a chore when it is dried down. How bad do you want to find your deer? If he is dead he is in the corn.
Agreed. Maybe even get some other guys to help you look.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

sorry if i gave the wrong impression but i had to go to school 2 day and i got a playoff football game 2 morrow so i couldnt stay out all night. I will be going back to look later tonight for a while
Old 10-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I just checked with the Mrs. She says "no".

Jeff