Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I dont get it!!!

Old 10-22-2006, 05:26 PM

Default I dont get it!!!

If a deer is 25yds. which pin do i use the 20yd one or the 30yd one i havent tryed it yet a 6-point came by at 26yds i didnt know wat to do so i passed it but i need help which to use?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I dont get it!!!

If you do not know how your bow shoots, then I can not help you. I am glad you passed, I suggest shoot some shots from a tree at the yardage. Use the one you like.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a deer is 25yds. which pin do i use the 20yd one or the 30yd
Mostly depends on how high you are. If you're on the ground and the deer is at 26 yards, obviously gap shoot the deer, between your 20 and 30 yard pins. If you're 25' up a tree and the deer is 26 yards from the base of your tree, you do the same, although in reality, the deer is actually closer to 30 yards away from you in that instance, BUT you shoot it for the actual distance, not the percieved distance!
Sounds like you need to do some practicing from a tree stand. This would help you build some confidence shooting from a raised platform!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

actually, even being 27 feet in the air only adds a yard and a half to the shot, so there really isnt much difference. Id say its a good thing you passed if you didnt know exactly where the shot would have hit. Get up in that tree and shoot some arrows, get confident as to where its gonna hit, and get back out there. good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:53 PM

Split the difference. Use the pin gap as another pin. Put the gap where you want to hit and let 'er fly!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

its called practice man.practice practice practice.26 yds in the open is a great shot.myself i put my first pin just a little high.i know this from shooting alot.my first pin is dead on to 22 yds my second is set for 30yds.anything in betweenishigher or lower depending on which pin i use.my only advice is shoot at different yardage so you know what pin you need to put where.good luck
Old 10-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Split the difference. Use the pin gap as another pin. Put the gap where you want to hit and let 'er fly!
Exactly and you should have been practicing this prior to the season but now it's time to practice it. Clearly if you had your 20 yard pin high on the animal, the arrow would slightly drop under this, if your 30 yard pin was low on the animal, the arrow would go higher than this. I use the 20 yard pin slightly high and use the pin gap as a "pin" as mobowhuntr mentioned. I practice this and know how/where to hold the 20 yard pin, at this point my 30 yard pin is also on the animal. I know my arrow will hit between the 20 and 30 yard pins on the animal. This should get you close so you know how to start your practice session on perhaps a 3D animal.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maby you need another set up? I shoot two pins one is dead on 0 to 30 yards and one for 40 yards