Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

quote about aging meat in freezer from LL Bean cookbook

Old 10-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default quote about aging meat in freezer from LL Bean cookbook

Even though this has been discussed before, here is an interesting take from author Angus Cameron. "if deer are skinned, cut up and packaged for the freezer immediately after the deer has been brought home, they "age" beautifully right in your deep freezer!...this writer hunter used to scorn this method until our wildlfe artist friend Peter Parnell persuaded me to try this method..." Basically his wife shot a 6 pointer and they had the deer butchered and in the freezer 15 hours later. They served venison soon thereafter and a hunter/ cook aficianado asked how long the deer had hung because it was the best he had ever had. The man was astonished that the the venison had aged right in the freezer.

Found it pretty interesting for those of us who don't have the right setup to hang, and for the many threads involving...early season high temp butchering.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: quote about aging meat in freezer from LL Bean cookbook

i never `age` mine,always taste great!!