Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how would you approach this

Old 10-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default how would you approach this

Okay people i need a little help on this one. I have some private land that i hunt on. I got a key a week before opening day and had like 3 hrs to scout.Now the problem isthat the the land is good hunting just hard, the deer are hard to patern and when you do it is a matter of getting a stand up and getting out fast. The one spot i have picked out i normally see abot 10 does at a time but on a NW wind.. This is the only wind i can hunt at the moment due to lack of scouting. There is a couple of other people that hunt it to but when i go to scout they are hunting and i cant get in there as i will scare there deer of, or push the bigger ones to them... I still only have one spot to hunt in the evenings and on a NW wind..what would you do
Old 10-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how would you approach this

Can you get in there on a Sunday (no Sunday hunting here in Pa) and do some scouting then? That would be my advice.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

well teammate,

I would have to say dress lightly and hoof it back there, if there are better and bigger deer I am sure it would be worth it for you.It will be hard but walk sor a few minutes and then stop and catch your breath.I usually hike that far when I hutn public land.The key is tho, dress VERY lightly and carry the rest of you clothes and put them on when you get to your hutning spot. Trust me it would be worth it and another hint is where thin cotton socks and put your warm ones in your pack. Just change socks when you get there because if you dont change everything and you wear all you clothes, you'll freeze your a$$ off when you sit down
Old 10-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds as if you need a climber on your back when you're scouting; that way, when you find a great area, you can get up a tree fast. Also, don't fall prey to "hunting deer sign as opposed to hunting deer" as Don Higgins puts it in his book Hunting Trophy Whitetails in the Real World. Travel corridors, pinchpoints and other various funnels can sometimes yield great results even though there may not be a ton of sign littering the area...

As far as competing with other hunters, I've found the old axiom "Get there early and stay late" works well in those situations.. Sometimes you can use those guys to your advantage by letting them push deer to you if you're set up right.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

hey cougar i had thought about that. The only thing is that it is a huge area back there and the maps say its all good. But it's where to start. knowing my luck i would go to the wrong place every time
Old 10-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

as someone previosly stated, I would dedicate one day to scouting, take your bow just in case and go do some scouting.If you know the guys and can trust them take a climber and find your tree and leave it at the base of the tree because that would just be less weight to carry when and if you decide to hunt back there
Old 10-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

i would figure out the prodominant wind and go in during mid day when the othor hunters are out of the woods or when its raining and nobody is hunting and put up a couple stands in any funnel areas that works for that prodominant wind