Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM (UPDATED STORY)

Old 10-21-2006, 12:37 AM

Default I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM (UPDATED STORY)

The reason is because I can't sleep because in 6 hours I will hopefully be putting my hands on a nice buck I arrowed at 6:45 this past evening!!!

I am trying not to get my hopes up too much because I shot the deer at a bad angle but got a clean pass through with lots of blood on my arrow and splattered around where I shot him. After drawing on the buck he turned straight toward me...I held at full draw for at least a minute and finally decided to take the shot with him facing me at 25 yards, his head was down while he fed. I picked out a spot where his neck met his body and let the arrow fly. Because of my shot selection me and my buddies decided to let him lay overnight...this is my first experience with this and that explains me not being able to sleep!!!
I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will recover him, for I know I will turn the woods upside down if it becomes difficult. We are taking 5 guys to look for him in the morning so hopefully I will have pictures to come...

This will hopefully be my 6th archery harvest since last year when I started. It is the first deer I haven't shot broadside and I don't want to make a habit of doing so. Do others of you often shoot deer that arent broadside with your bow?????

A combination of fast approaching darkness, fatigue from holding my draw, and flat out just wanting to run an arrow through the vitals of that buck helped me decide to squeeze that release...I sure hope I made the right call!

[hr]

OK HERE IS THE UPDATE FROM TODAY

At 8:30 this morning 5 guys including myself were standing under my stand looking at my blood soaked arrow. First I want people to realize that I live in the mountains and I don't mean hilly mountains i mean mountains....the ridgetop this stand is on drops off literally 1/4-1/2 mile or more on both sides. Steep is an understatement. This is the last place in the world you want a deer to go far. Anyhow, we quickly found about 3-4 patches of hair that led us about 25 yards from my arrow. There the trail went cold..for the next 2 hours 2 of my buddies were on their hands and knees looking for blood near the last place I saw him run....the other 3 of us began combing the mountainside he ran off of, following deer trails, looking for blood, anywhere leaves were messed up, we looked for blood. Finally, we lined up and began walking up and down the mountain. NO LUCK. NOT A SINGLE SPECK OF BLOOD. NOTHING. At 11 AM we call a guy with a tracking dog. Now Supposedly this dog has never not found a dead deer. From 11:30-1:30, we followed the dog who immediately led us right down where we all agreed we thought the deer probably ran.....about 500 yards straight down the mountain the dog came to about an acres of the thickest briars and weeds you can imagine and began circling it....he then entered and drug the poor guy with him....so at this point we have 6 guys and a dog looking. NO LUCK...but you would literally have to step on the deer to find him in that stuff.The Dog's handler is divorced and it is his daughters birthday so, having never met me until today...he let me keep the dog to keep looking and left to go see his daughter while he had visitation. WHAT ANICE GUY. The other 5 of us decide to go eat lunch. At lunch I tell my buddies to get on with their days....I would go on and look again by myself. So at 2 oclock I leave and head back out....I take the dog back to the thicket and he immediately gets on a trail and for the next 30 minutestakes me on a death jog on a hot trail....now of course in all likelihood it was a different deer's trail thatn theone i shot, because after beingmore than a mile frommy stand and throwing up my lunch, I turned back. I GAVE UP. UNTIL TOMMORROW MORNING that is. at 5:00 i called it quits. I took the dog back, wrote the man a $50 check for his time and graciousness and went home and went to sleep.

My plan is to go back to the thicket in the morning and try tofight through every inch of it. Hopefully I step on the deer."The Dog MAN" says he has another one that is the best at findinga stinking deer and thinks that in a day or 2 his other dog will find him if we can get him somewhere where he can smell the carcass.

I won't everyone to know I gave it my best effort today...I have some great friends to surrender half a saturday during season to help. If this story makespisses you off or makes you sick, well just think how I feel. I share things like this with you guys not because I am proud I pulled that release, but maybeone of you will think about it next time that deer is not broadside. I consider myself extremely ethical and feel horrible about not finding the deer. Good luck to you all and learnfrom this story.

Michael

Old 10-21-2006, 12:43 AM

Default RE: I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM

Good luck fellow early morning poster! Hope you do indeed pick up that rack in the morning and enjoy success!

God Bless,

Bols
Old 10-21-2006, 12:53 AM

Well I guess we will all know here in a little while, if you made the right decision or not. Hopefully you will recover your deer and have the time of your life celebrating a job well done. Good luck in the recovery of your buck...... and take a camera!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have advised against taking the shot, but I hope you make a good recovery. I have been in the same situation twice in recent years. In both circumstances, the deer were true trophy bucks -- a very good 9 point and a 140 class 8 point -- I passed up the shot in each case because, at that angle, you are more likely to catch just one lung and possibly not recover the deer. I had the 9 point at 17 yards sharply quartering towards me and the 8 point at about 20 at the same angle. I can hit a 1 1/2" spot every time at that range with broadheads, and I passed. I'm not trying to bust your chops on this, it happens, and like I said, I wish you the very best in finding your buck.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble

..I held at full draw for at least a minute and finally decided to take the shot with him facing me at 25 yards, his head was down while he fed. I picked out a spot where his neck met his body and let the arrow fly... It is the first deer I haven't shot broadside and I don't want to make a habit of doing so. Do others of you often shoot deer that arent broadside with your bow?????
Iwould never take that shot, no matter how big or small the deer is. I do volunteer tracking on a military base, and quartering-on shotsoftenresult in a lost deer.I do wish you luck in finding yourdeer.

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble
...A combination of fast approaching darkness, fatigue from holding my draw, and flat out just wanting to run an arrow through the vitals of that buck helped me decide to squeeze that release...I sure hope I made the right call!
What you've saidcannever justify taking a poor or "hopeful" shot at a deer. The choice to shoot was not the best choice you could have made. Part of the mystique of bowhunting is having deer in range that you would like to get a shot off at;if the good shot never presents, you learn to suck it up and hope, maybe next time... It's always too late after the fact to be wishing you had passed ona particularshot. Again I wish you well in the recovery effort.

I'll get off my "high horse" for now, but it seemsa lot of folks won't accept the collective wisdom of what constitutes apoor shot, and have to learnfrom their own personal experience.

-fsh
Old 10-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck at finding him, I know how them nights are!!
Old 10-21-2006, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Gobble,
I took a shot like that many years ago when I first started bow hunting. It was on a doe that was 25 yards away . I was up in a tree 15 feet. I shot her right at the base of the throat.I got a clean pass thru with lots of blood and spatter. She only went 35 yards and piled up. When I gutted her I found major artery damage as well as clipping the top of the heart. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Host of Hosts

We can only hope you recover your deer. I wouldn't have released that arrow, but good luck!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

shot one last year facing me. thoght i mit have got one lung, came back the next morning and found him 70 yards away. good luck
Old 10-21-2006, 05:28 AM

i say dont listen to others if you thought it was the right choice so be it and good luck to you on finding your trophy

Quick Reply: I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM (UPDATED STORY)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.