Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM (UPDATED STORY)

Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 AM

Default RE: I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM (UPDATED STORY)

I think most bowhunters who have been at this sport for any respectable length of time have made a not so perfect decision when it comes to shots in the field. Maybe they haven't lost a deer because of their decision but that doesn't make it any less irresponsible. I have made such poor decisions and wish like heck I could take them back, but I have learned from them. I started bowhunting when I was 14 and was self taught so I have been at this for 19 years now and I've definitely learned alot. We are all learning everyday we go afield and that what makes us a better hunter. I applaud your efforts in recovering your deer. I hope it turns out
Old 10-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: alwyshntn

I think most bowhunters who have been at this sport for any respectable length of time have made a not so perfect decision when it comes to shots in the field. Maybe they haven't lost a deer because of their decision but that doesn't make it any less irresponsible. I have made such poor decisions and wish like heck I could take them back, but I have learned from them. I started bowhunting when I was 14 and was self taught so I have been at this for 19 years now and I've definitely learned alot. We are all learning everyday we go afield and that what makes us a better hunter. I applaud your efforts in recovering your deer. I hope it turns out
I couldn't agree more, good post alwyshntn and it pretty much tells my story as well except I've been at it for 25 yrs..
Old 10-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I share things like this with you guys not because I am proud I pulled that release, but maybeone of you will think about it next time that deer is not broadside. I consider myself extremely ethical and feel horrible about not finding the deer. Good luck to you all and learnfrom this story.
Michael

Thanks Michael, with this story made public you've probably saved alot of deer from being wounded. I would have made that shot but I won't now. I'll wait for broadside shots only. Thanks for looking so hard. .your a great hunting role model for all us.
C7
Old 10-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have only shot one deer with my bow that was looking straight at me. That went straight through the briskett and out through the ribs. That took the deer right square in the heart. But, I preffer to take a side shot any day. Also an old timer taught me how to find wounded deer. By making circles and looking for tracks with the toes spread. He said a wounded deer will walk with its toes spread for balance. That is something I will never forget as it as helped me out before.