Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM (UPDATED STORY)

Old 10-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM

I think it was a good choice. Near the neck is a good shot because there is a main artery going up the neck and also lungs behind the shoulders and stuff. I shot my deer right behind the shoulder and it came out the neck and boy did it bleed! Good luck and hope you recover your deer!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Well, in spite of the posted successes - here is an negative report. "George" took a 20 yd shot at a doe that was hard quartering-on. The arrow hit just abovethe neck and the deer was never recovered. Since this was on a military base, with roads around the woodlots, many people were able to spot the doe carrying George's arrow over the next two weeks. The arrow fletching was just above her head, andshe was known as the "unicorn". After two weeks, she was never seen again. George told me he would never take a shot like that again.The National Bowhunter Education Program teaches folks not to take the shot too. It's not that shooting at the base of the neck won't succeed once in a while, it is just not a good shot...

-fsh
Old 10-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, don't know if I would have taken that shot, but I do hope you recover him

Shane
Old 10-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

i say dont listen to others if you thought it was the right choice so be it and good luck to you on finding your trophy

Well, if we're taking sides, I'm going to pass up the described shot!! That deer makes any sudden movement, and the arrow misses any chance for vitals. Last year in my hometown of Columbia, Missouri, someone took a picture of a doe in their yard, still alive, with an arrow sticking out above her head (neck shot). Of course they were pi$$ed off because they were animal lovers etc. etc. There is nothing wrong with those who love animals (anti-hunters) but we hunters don't help cozy our friendships with non-hunters when they see or hear about things like this. Clearly this case was just a bad shot selection on an overeager hunter(or so it appears).

Just my thoughts...anyway, I do wish you luck in the recovery.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

quartering toward on deer...low percentage, please no one try it. i thought i could pull it off once...nope. My brother did the same on a doe and we recovered her....over half a mile away. I know several other stories. Because of the narowing of the chest cavity towards the front(both in height and in with) it is very hard to get a arrow past the shoulder, above the brisket, and below the spine through to the heart/lungs. but anyway.....i really hope you find your deer and wish you the best of luck!! you got a pass through though, that is a definate plus!

Old 10-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

We do wish you well in your recovery efforts.

I would also like to respectfully request that we keep this thread civil -- as has been done so far. Good job, gang.

I appreciate fsh's mature post; I personally feel he's right in his thoughts, but what he suggested he did so with respect.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:39 AM

Ihope you recover your deer, good luck
Old 10-21-2006, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: wholelottagobble

I am trying not to get my hopes up too much because I shot the deer at a bad angle...

A combination of fast approaching darkness, fatigue from holding my draw, and flat out just wanting to run an arrow through the vitals of that buck helped me decide to squeeze that release...I sure hope I made the right call!

I am rooting for you to find that buck however, Your statements reveal an inexperienced hunter without patience just "hoping" for a kill. I apologize in advance if this offends anyone but that is just my opinion.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Didyou find him? I hope you blew out a lung and maybe gotdeep penetration to liver.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:21 PM

Keep us posted

We all make bad shots once in a while, it's due to the FEVER!!

Quick Reply: I HAVE A GREAT REASON FOR POSTING AT 2:30 AM (UPDATED STORY)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.