Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe down----Switchback is broke in

Old 10-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doe down----Switchback is broke in

The night didn't start off to good. I got off work late and was running late.For once I was glad it was a little warmer so the deer wouldn't move until later. I got home showered and hit the woods on my way to a blind on a clover field. I had not hunted this blind since the opening afternoon and had hit a doe there but could not find any blood, as I had hit her high above the lungs and below the spine.

At about 5:30 I saw a large adult doe down the field a little ways. I grunted a few times, and she came to about 30 yards, but was not in one of my 2 shooting lanes. I could hear deer milling around in the thicket all evening so I was not to worried about her not coming, and as long as I didn't spook her she was the best decoy I could get.

At 6:15 I look to my right and there is a doe 10 yards away still in woods. She is straight downwind from me and I am on the ground. I'm thinking oh boy this is not good. She just put her head down and kept on going to the plot (I wear Scent-Lok and this is why, but thats a WHOLE other topic) Anyways, she walked out and I saw she was a few yards in front of my 20 yard marker and quartering away slightly. I put my pin on her and saw it thump her perfectly. I was somewhat worried as I saw it was not a complete pass through but I was fairly confident.

I sat for about 5 minutes then peaked out in the field. Little to my knowledge the south end of the field (I can't see this for the brush that is stacked around me) was filled with more does and small bucks. I see them all start running and one looked about the same size as the doe I had just hit. I started to get worried then walked up a little rise and saw that my doe had not went 40 yards.

I went down and looked at her while gutting and saw an infection growing under her spine on both sides. Well I was pleasantly suprised when I realized the wound was from a broadhead and the same doe I had hit the first afternoon.

#1 notch on the Switchback! Now time to shoot another doe maybe and get after that bigIllinoisbuck.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:41 PM

Default RE: Doe down----Switchback is broke in

Congrats!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I went down and looked at her while gutting and saw an infection growing under her spine on both sides. Well I was pleasantly suprised when I realized the wound was from a broadhead and the same doe I had hit the first afternoon.
That is amazing. Congratulations.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

....as I had hit her high above the lungs and below the spine.

... while gutting and saw an infection growing under her spine on both sides. Well I was pleasantly suprised when I realized the wound was from a broadhead and the same doe I had hit the first afternoon.
Congrats on the doe. HOWEVER - You just opened up a huge can of worms....

Does this confirm the existance of the dreaded black hole below the spine and above the lungs????
Old 10-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:37 AM
Banned

Congrats!!! HCH
Old 10-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Good job. Congrats on breaking that new bow in.