Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow question, dad getting into bow hunting...

Old 10-20-2006, 12:36 PM

Default bow question, dad getting into bow hunting...

my dad used to be into hunting with a bow alot (really alot) but since chilled out when us kids came along from what I gather.ever since we were growing up we liked to shoot bows guns whatever and now recently my brother got the money where he could get a really good bow. then I got talked into one (same brand guess which) and now we shoot a lot out behind the house. that I think got dads dander up and he started to get out his old bow. it needed a lot more work than he thought (it was ruff) so now hes thinking of fixing it up, but I was thinking we should suprise him with a totaly new one If I and my bro. go in half and half. It shouldnt cost us to much a peice to go in and get it.
Problem is, what should we get him?? I let him shoot the switchback xt. he called it "a really shootin bow" and seemed to really like it. but he really liked my brothers (ovation I think, not shure) because its got a longer draw length on it. He really liked both, hes never shot a BT bow or any of the others I think.
How would you go about this?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bow question, dad getting into bow hunting...

That's great that you guys are going to suprise your dad with a bow. However from a practical standpoint I think the best thing is to pick him up on a Saturday morning and take him to the bowshop. Tell him the bow is already paid for, he just needs to pick one out. Let him shoot a bunch and decide for himself. Good hunting to you and your dad.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

well if you were to surprise him and he said he liked the matthews I would honestly get him the Ross CR337, it has an even smoother draw, which would be easier on his aging shoulders and still has reasonable speed. It is a sweet shooting bow, Ross is going to be my next bow if i can find a way to get one. They are also cheaper than the other high end bows.I truly like them alot and if you dont have a dealer that carries them near you id say you could call the owner of ross up and id say hed be able to get you one through paypal or something
Old 10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

check them out at www.rossarchery.com and I am by no means associated with them thats just my own honest opinion
Old 10-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

maybe get him a gift certificate for a good bowshop in the area....that way he can go pick what HE likes. granted mathews are nice good bows he may love the feels of a hoyt or bowtech or pse or martin or etc etc etc.......thats a great thing you and your brother are going to do. them old bows will still kill deer...but by the time it gets a make over he could bought a new bow..faster, lighter, quieter, shorter etc...
Old 10-20-2006, 04:12 PM
neb
Typical Buck

qzq38b you got the right idea and that would be the best thing to do. Let him pick the one he would like.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

switchback....a warm gesture...with haste get him to Ye Olde Pro Shop
Old 10-21-2006, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

well if you were to surprise him and he said he liked the matthews I would honestly get him the Ross CR337, it has an even smoother draw, which would be easier on his aging shoulders and still has reasonable speed. It is a sweet shooting bow, Ross is going to be my next bow if i can find a way to get one. They are also cheaper than the other high end bows.I truly like them alot and if you dont have a dealer that carries them near you id say you could call the owner of ross up and id say hed be able to get you one through paypal or something
The archery shop I was thinking of makeing the purchase from has BT Mathews and ross bows there as well as a rack of used misc. bows. they might have another brand there, seemed like they had 4 name brands there but it might just be 3 there.
Any ways I was talking to mom tonight and got on the subject. she said he had been out shooting my bow and really really liked it. I asked her what he said and when she told me it threw me for a loop. he never mentioned he liked it quite that much. I just thought he aproved of the bow I got, turns out he was kinda drooling over mine. Now I know I got to get him down to the shop and get him shooting the ross, BT, hoyte new bows so he can figure out which fits him the best. I know he is gona love this.
thanks guys this is gona be great for every one of us!!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

maybe get him a gift certificate for a good bowshop in the area....that way he can go pick what HE likes. granted mathews are nice good bows he may love the feels of a hoyt or bowtech or pse or martin or etc etc etc.......thats a great thing you and your brother are going to do. them old bows will still kill deer...but by the time it gets a make over he could bought a new bow..faster, lighter, quieter, shorter etc...
I was kinda thinking he was going along those lines. I think he wanted a new ever since brother brought his home. I went and looked after bro let me shoot his a few times. I knew I wanted to get one but was there enought money in the ole pocket book to swing this. I kinda did with out some things but I swung it and got my bow.after I did he asked me what I thought of the guy and his little shop. A few days later he went down there and looked around, I tagged allong with nothing better to do just wanting to hang out with them. He looked around and I think he found one he really liked till he looked at the price tag. Then he told us to finish up because we had to go.
I bet he would have got it if they werent so expencive. boy is he gona be thrilled!! maybe latter we will go look at tree stands, I have yet to get a good one and bass pro is running an online sale right now on deer hunting tree stands. by the way whats a good stand.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tell him the bow is already paid for, he just needs to pick one out.
Ditto.

Quick Reply: bow question, dad getting into bow hunting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.