Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pre-rut? is it here?

Old 10-20-2006, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pre-rut? is it here?

was bow hunting last night, on the ground still hunting over my foodplot, never done it before so decided to give it a try, anyway, had 3 does and 3 nice bucks out in my W. wheat, the dominant buck was chasing the does and the other 2 bucks off the wheat, and then when one tried to come back, they had a heck of a fight, so I guess, it's time to bring out the rattling sticks at least, but when the bucks start to get agressive like this, does this signal the start of the pre-rut? I didn't see a single fawn or yearling with these deer either, which tells me they are being run off as the rut kicks off. So, whats your thoughts?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:30 AM

Default RE: Pre-rut? is it here?

The pre rut is here in Pa. Ive seen bucks following the does, but not quite chasing them full speed. Pretty soon it will get good!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Bucks were chasing does last week in Western New York too. Seems a little early.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

What confuses me is seeing mating ritual behavior (chasing, sparring) from young bucks, but not from mature bucks around this time of year. I assume the real rut is centered on mature bucks altering their behavior for the sake of mating. Nonetheless, young bucks chasing does sets off the timing of the whole thing, I think. Anyway, I know we are getting close when I hear of bucks running into public places causing mild havoc such as this:

http://www.nbc4.com/news/5182697/detail.html

This happens every year around here. The young guns just throw caution to the wind and lose all sense of prudence. A friend of mine and I were talking about it after our hunt a couple weeks ago and concluded that the big hammers never really return to that level of boldness. They smartened up and really never show there face during daytime, or very little even during the seeking phase. I know that is probably most likely due to what area they inhabit. Safe havens such as suburbia America for example has huge bucks roaming at will through backyards never to be hunted. On the other hand, a mature buck who resides on land that gets a lot of hunting pressure may not be so disillusioned.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: chazspot

What confuses me is seeing mating ritual behavior (chasing, sparring) from young bucks, but not from mature bucks around this time of year. I assume the real rut is centered on mature bucks altering their behavior for the sake of mating.
Absolutely not, the "RUT" is defined when 90% of the doe population is in estrous not when bucks change their routine. Bucks change their routine when the does are in, not vise versa. Remember the "rut" is determined/defined by the does not the bucks.

That being said, Oct 21 is the date that is coined for the begining of the "hard" pre-rut leading into the 15th of Nov which is "peak" rut, give or take a few days.

So yes, the Pre-rut would be defined as starting now.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

What confuses me is seeing mating ritual behavior (chasing, sparring) from young bucks, but not from mature bucks around this time of year. I assume the real rut is centered on mature bucks altering their behavior for the sake of mating.
Absolutely not, the "RUT" is defined when 90% of the doe population is in estrous not when bucks change their routine. Bucks change their routine when the does are in, not vise versa. Remember the "rut" is determined/defined by the does not the bucks.

That being said, Oct 21 is the date that is coined for the begining of the "hard" pre-rut leading into the 15th of Nov which is "peak" rut, give or take a few days.

Well, today's Oct, 20th, sounds like we're right on schedule!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw some rubs and scrapes yesterday, probably brought on by our cold spell last week. But I don't see good buck movement generally until early November. Nov. 4 to 10 should be a great time to be in the woods, particularly if it is below 60 degrees, and ideally below 50.

What you saw was them being frisky, getting ready. But the hard core action is still probably two weeks away.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for clarifying. I knew that the rut is dependant on the does in that capacity, but the context of my post was contrast in behavior of young to mature bucks.

Alas, so here is my age old question.If one had 3 or 4 days to take off, when would be the best time to schedule those 3 or 4 days??

Old 10-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go again:

http://www.nbc4.com/news/10124328/detail.html

Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

that's some funny stuf Chaz. A friend of mine who lives in Iowa Falls, said a small buck got into their Wallmart store one day. This was a couple of years ago, did alot of damage, he claims they do it because of the odor of some lady in her menstral cycle. I couldn't tell you for sure, but have witnessed weird activity from bucks when a female during that time of the month are present during hunting. I quess estres smells the same from a deer, or a humanoid, very interesting to say the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.