Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice ...

Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Need advice ...

Good day ,

I was walking down a trail about 3 weeks ago and 2big buckscharged out of a cypress head .They saw me and snorted. I put my stand in the cypress dome amongst some acorn trees and deer trail/The next day I saw a doe. She busted me and looked me dead in the eyes when I was in the tree. Am I wasting my time hunting this spot???

I've hunted this spot twice since then and haven't seen nothing but squirrels.

Thanks,
C7

PS This Cypress Dome / Bayhead is 1/2 mile long and about 100 yds wide. It's a thick area between 2 palmetto fields. Most of the bayhead is simply cypress trees.However ; at the eastern side is a small grove of water oaks. I'm sitting in the oaks.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:21 AM

Default RE: Need advice ...

Seems like you're in the right place. Just take the pressure off for a lil while. Maybe wait for the right moon phase and wind direction before hunting it again.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Dominant Buck

OK ..I haven't been there for 6 days. Is the 'right moon phase' the same as fishing. The week before the full moon?
Thanks for replying
Old 10-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I plan to move my stand to B. Notice the shape of the cypress dome is a boot. There are over 1,000,000 cypress trees in that boot. The only firing lanesare A and B. or around the edges which seems futile especially on public property. The deer seemto be always nocturnal here.
c7

Old 10-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Anymore advice or opinion from previous experiences, Is it ok to hunt a spot after you have been eye ball to eyeball..busted??while sitting in your tree?
c7
Old 10-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure it is ok. That is one deer. It is not like they all sit around and discuss what they saw that day. It sounds like a good area and having a couple of spots to hunt in it is a good idea. That doe will probably see you again from that tree, which would be a huge problem if she was being tailed by a nice buck, but if it is a good area I think you have to risk that.I don't know how high you were in the tree, but if you are low, get higher. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 AM

Yes it is ok. I tried hunting that close to a bedding area not to long ago and got busted when I walked in at 5:30 a.m. I couldnt understand how those deer could be in their bed that early in the morning. In your case there are probably alot of deer that use that area as a safe haven during the day. I think its an aweson spot. And yes I would hunt it again.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Sure it is ok. That is one deer. It is not like they all sit around and discuss what they saw that day. It sounds like a good area and having a couple of spots to hunt in it is a good idea. That doe will probably see you again from that tree, which would be a huge problem if she was being tailed by a nice buck, but if it is a good area I think you have to risk that.I don't know how high you were in the tree, but if you are low, get higher. Good luck!

I really do appreciate the feedback. I look up to you guys on this bow site and mentally write your ideas/ tips on my mind. Each timeI hunt I try going a little higher. Right now I'm flirting with about 14 feet. I love the blowing in the can tip.I've been working on that one. What a difference it makes!!! I'm in the classroom now but my bow an dclean camos are in my Explorer. I've heard of you guys takin gmany deer from the same area I just wondered about the odds. Hunting in a WMA I try to increase th eodds to my favor.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:33 AM

I don't know that this is the case or not, but I believe it still bares worth saying.

If a doe came out and looked youeye to eye, then you are probably moiving and giving yourself away. You might not even realize you are doing it, but I have found that being busted that hard..... I gave myself up. She might have seen you before you saw her. Check how much you move while in the stand, and when you move, move slowly. Quick movement in the animal world spells PREDATOR. And quick motions attract attention.

Other than that, as previously said. If you can hunt higher, go higher.

Good luck

Old 10-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

About the doe bust.

I've never seen a deer in shooting range while bowhunting.So stupid me..I had my bow hanging while i was daydreaming. All of a sudden I caught movement at 1:00 .15 yds away.It was 7:30AM. She was eatting acorns behind a bush.She didn't see me. I quickly grabbe my bow asnd nocked an arrow. I was attaching the quick release when Mrs. Doe looked up at me.She is now at the 12:00 position at about 7yds away.and my inner man is saying OH CRAP!
and she twisted her body around to go toward the bedding area , wrap around directly around my areaand for over 100 yds snorting the whole way....crying out Fat man in the tree.

Quick Reply: Need advice ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.