Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wierd

Old 10-19-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Wierd

I read an article in the June 2000 issue of Field and Stream last night, that I had forgotten about. The title was something about deer developing a taste for flesh. News to me. (When I first read it in 2000) Anyway it stated that while doing a study on song birds in north dakota, I think, in four instances the nests were raided by whitetails and the little birds eaten. I dont know if anyone else has ever heard this, but I have also seen a deer skull with canine teeth (unrelated to the bird eating). Theres a picture of that in one of the buckmaster issues and more since that article was printed.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wierd

I watched a show on it one timme they do it to get certain minerals if there is not enough they are getting naturally.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is true, its not there favorite food to eat, but if there hungry they will, i have seen deer eating fish washed up on shore
Old 10-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a backyard feeder. I have several deer that are semi-tame that come in daily.

2 summers ago, we had a bunch of starlings flocking around the feeder eating all the corn. I told my stepson to shoot them with his .22 with CB Shorts ( they are a .22 round that have no powder only the primer ) They are quiet and only push the bullet at about 800 fps. He would aim at the head to prevent cripples.

Anyway, he had shot several ane let them laying around the feeder as he waited for more. Well, along came the deer. The doe picked up one of the birds and started chewing on it.Ate the head off then picked up another. Ate the heads off of a few of them. she must of liked the mushy brains from the head shots.