Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sick to myself....

Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sick to myself....

Got to the stand around 2:30 for a rainy hunt. Didnt see anything till around 5:30 the action started. Lots of does in a big frenzy. Spot a buck of a lifetime for me heading straight towards me. Turns broadside at about 20 yards and I smack him just a tad high. He runs to the north with the arrow sticking halfway out. Decide to go to the truck and call some buddies to help. It has now been an hour since he was shot and the rain was a big worry. Make a long story short four guys looked for 2 hours in the dark and did not find a drop. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I am going out in the morning. My worries are the lack of blood and all the damn rain. Thanks for your help!!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sick to myself....

where ever they normally bed he will be, where ever he feels safe

post pics when u find him!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

Do some grid searching. Good luck , I hope you find him
Old 10-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

Where yah at?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

You've read it here a hundred time. Look in the thickest stuff you can find that is near where he was headed. Look toward any water that is in the area.
Please don't give up too soon and best of luck to you.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Look on the underside of branches and tall veggitation, places where you wouldn't normally look for blood. Take a bottle of poroxide with you and spray it on stuff you might think is blood. Watch for the foam. mark your trail and use a compass. Get an idea of the direction he is going. Listen for blue jays and crows. Don't give up. 4 hours is not long enough. Keep looking.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 AM

Even the smallest of thickets. If the ground you are hunting is fairly open. Like a river bottom find the closest thicket. He'll be there.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you really hit him "a tad high" and the arrow was half way in, then you should have got both lungs, but looks can be deceiving. It sucks man and I feel for ya. Hopefully he piled up in a thicket somewhere close. I wouldn't give up for a while if you are confident in the shot though.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother shot one last year "a tad high". It went a hundred yards before we found any blood. The buck went 150 yards total. The more it ran, the more the broadhead cut his vitals. When we opened him up, his innerds looked like they were puree'd. He bled alright, it just didn't come out of the wound because it was high in the cavity. You will probably find him dead in his bed.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Lots of good advice here as usual. The common theme, one that I agree with, look in the thick stuff ont he property and consider any nearby water sources. Most importantly, don't give up yet!!

Quick Reply: Sick to myself....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.